Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

Another RMS leak question

I'm new to this site, and I'm sure there are about a thousand RMS posts on here, but my question may be a little different: I bought my 2000 Boxster S in August and have seen no leaking, although I got the car checked out and they said they found "sweating." However, I just pulled the car out and there was a fairly major pool of what looks like oil, however it's coming from behind the front driver side wheel (?). Can an RMS leak come from here or is this something else? thanks!

John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #2

Another RMS

I might suspect that an oil cooler hose connection or even the tubing itself may have a leak. If it is, it wil empty the oil from the sump pretty quickly. You maqy wish to investigate befroe you drive the car.
pde37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #3

What he said. Not an RMS from the sound of it. The cooling system is the likely curprit. To the shop with you!

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #4

Lift the car up and take a look... I have a really tiny leak on one of the oil return bolts and it's a "known issue" that Porsche has a TSB on. Post a picture of where the engine and transmission bolt up.

An old friend of mine, that owned a 944 turbo, said when buying a used Porsche ask the owner "what's it leaking now"... I guess those old 944's leaked like a sieve!
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John R
I'm new to this site, and I'm sure there are about a thousand RMS posts on here, but my question may be a little different: I bought my 2000 Boxster S in August and have seen no leaking, although I got the car checked out and they said they found "sweating." However, I just pulled the car out and there was a fairly major pool of what looks like oil, however it's coming from behind the front driver side wheel (?). Can an RMS leak come from here or is this something else? thanks!
Sweating? What's sweating? Sounds like a BS answer to me. Your oil might be brake fluid. Our cars do not have an oil cooler in the front of the car, it has an oil/coolant heat exchanger on top of the engine block, it looks like a silver brick. Don't hesitate to ask questions, dorks like me love to help when we can.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #6

Thanks all...

i'll have it checked out. strange though as it just came back from the shop and all they noted was the RMS "sweating" and small brake line leak. Guess it wasn't as amll as they thought.
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #7

Behind the front wheel? Brake line leak?

Interesting that wasn't mentioned before.

There you go...it's brake fluid... check the reservoir to confirm.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote