986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Another RMS leak question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/19198-another-rms-leak-question.html)

John R 01-02-2009 02:09 PM

Another RMS leak question

I'm new to this site, and I'm sure there are about a thousand RMS posts on here, but my question may be a little different: I bought my 2000 Boxster S in August and have seen no leaking, although I got the car checked out and they said they found "sweating." However, I just pulled the car out and there was a fairly major pool of what looks like oil, however it's coming from behind the front driver side wheel (?). Can an RMS leak come from here or is this something else? thanks!

pde37 01-02-2009 02:29 PM

Another RMS

I might suspect that an oil cooler hose connection or even the tubing itself may have a leak. If it is, it wil empty the oil from the sump pretty quickly. You maqy wish to investigate befroe you drive the car.

Brucelee 01-02-2009 03:27 PM

What he said. Not an RMS from the sound of it. The cooling system is the likely curprit. To the shop with you!

Good luck.

:cheers:

chitowndad 01-02-2009 05:11 PM

Lift the car up and take a look... I have a really tiny leak on one of the oil return bolts and it's a "known issue" that Porsche has a TSB on. Post a picture of where the engine and transmission bolt up.

An old friend of mine, that owned a 944 turbo, said when buying a used Porsche ask the owner "what's it leaking now"... I guess those old 944's leaked like a sieve!

Jaxonalden 01-02-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John R
I'm new to this site, and I'm sure there are about a thousand RMS posts on here, but my question may be a little different: I bought my 2000 Boxster S in August and have seen no leaking, although I got the car checked out and they said they found "sweating." However, I just pulled the car out and there was a fairly major pool of what looks like oil, however it's coming from behind the front driver side wheel (?). Can an RMS leak come from here or is this something else? thanks!

Sweating? What's sweating? Sounds like a BS answer to me. Your oil might be brake fluid. Our cars do not have an oil cooler in the front of the car, it has an oil/coolant heat exchanger on top of the engine block, it looks like a silver brick. Don't hesitate to ask questions, dorks like me love to help when we can. :D

John R 01-03-2009 08:25 AM

Thanks all...

i'll have it checked out. strange though as it just came back from the shop and all they noted was the RMS "sweating" and small brake line leak. Guess it wasn't as amll as they thought.

Lil bastard 01-03-2009 09:24 AM

Behind the front wheel? Brake line leak?

Interesting that wasn't mentioned before.

There you go...it's brake fluid... check the reservoir to confirm.