Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2008, 06:27 PM   #1

Boxster parts

Please forgive my lack of knowledge. I am setp to pickup my Boxster mext week. It will be turned into a racer right away. I keep seeing the 99 Boxster listed with the 996. Does this mean that some of the 996 parts will fit the boxster? I am looking a LSD units. Several companies we use do not have a Boxster model. Will a 996 unit work?

djjohnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #2

If your Boxster is a '99, then 996 LSDs won't work. The base model boxster (that is, non-S) has an Audi-sourced 5-speed tranny. The 2000+ S model shares its 6-speed tranny with the 996, so 996 LSDs do work in it.

Many other Boxster parts are shared with the 996, for example the front suspension is nearly identical, so you can put 996 parts (including GT3) up front. Rear suspension is unique to the Boxster, so you'll have to source Boxster-specific upgrades for the rear.

Depending on your goal (DE, PCA club racing, NASA GTx class, SCCA, etc.) there is a huge range of choices you need to make, or in some cases aren't allowed to make. For example, PCA club racing is very restrictive if you wish to remain in the stock class. And jumping to GT classes can get very complex and expensive if you want to be competitive.

Give a little more detail on what organization and class you plan to race in and we can give you more specific input.

Good luck.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

I am not as concerned with the sanctioning bodies rules at the moment. I am just trying to understand the interchangability of parts.

So will the 6 speed bolt up to a 2.5 without too much work? If so what else needs to be changed? Are gears readily available for the 5 speed?
djjohnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
To the best of my knowledge, the only interchangable parts between the 996 and 986 are the front bumper, and interior (dash, seats, radio, etc.).
The electronics, engine, some suspension, and everything mechanical is different between the two.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjohnj
I am not as concerned with the sanctioning bodies rules at the moment. I am just trying to understand the interchangability of parts.

So will the 6 speed bolt up to a 2.5 without too much work? If so what else needs to be changed? Are gears readily available for the 5 speed?
Good question. I'm not sure if it bolts straight up or if some form of adapter plate and different mounts would be needed. My hunch is it should be quite possible to put the 6-speed from the S into a base boxster, however it will be much easier to source an LSD for the base boxster tranny. There is an active group of racers that are developing a Spec Boxster series -- I think you should call the shop that is leading the effort as they will have the best intel on racing parts for base boxsters. Take a look at: http://www.boxsterspecracing.org.

-- JB
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #6

the six speed from an S will bolt right up, BUT the half-shafts will not attatch to it. the inner CV joints on the 'S' model are larger. one would either have to replace the inner CV joints OR replace the output flanges at the tranny.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote