Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #1

Garage
Bulbs in switches,can they be changed?

After changing the dash bulbs to blue I thought the remaining interior bulbs would be fairly straightforward,the cigarette lighter was ok but the rocker switches look like sealed units does anyone know if they can be changed or will I have to live with them orange.
Thanks in advance.

Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:43 AM   #2

Garage
Anybody...............Anything?
Old 11-28-2008, 01:14 AM   #3

Go here... http://porscheleds.com/
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks Releese, but was really looking at how to take the switches apart.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #5

When you buy the LEDs from them, they give you instructions (a password to the site). I did the dash cluster and A/C in my car, but havent done any switches yet. I do know that there is a small LED soldered to a board inside the switch.
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #6

Garage
Thats great thanks!
Just what I needed.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #7

That's where I got my kit from. I posted this thread a while back and only one guy responded to it....made me sound like an idiot for doing it and he couldn't see any change. I however think its one of the best mods I've done to my car I always hated the amber bulbs.

You will need a good pair of long tweasers to hold the tiny LEDs in place to solder them. The covers just pop off with a small screw driver.

If this is your first soldering project you might want to enlist the help of a freind that has some experience.

Note some of the switches have a red LED in them, door lock, defrost and seat heaters. make sure to take note which one to replace. I made the mistake of replacing them bolth. Granted to say I could not find the red LED in my Pile of used LEDs...they all look the same. Now my door lock lights up amber instead of red.

Pics of my white LED's
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614
That's where I got my kit from. I posted this thread a while back and only one guy responded to it....made me sound like an idiot for doing it and he couldn't see any change. I however think its one of the best mods I've done to my car I always hated the amber bulbs.

You will need a good pair of long tweasers to hold the tiny LEDs in place to solder them. The covers just pop off with a small screw driver.

If this is your first soldering project you might want to enlist the help of a freind that has some experience.

Note some of the switches have a red LED in them, door lock, defrost and seat heaters. make sure to take note which one to replace. I made the mistake of replacing them bolth. Granted to say I could not find the red LED in my Pile of used LEDs...they all look the same. Now my door lock lights up amber instead of red.

Pics of my white LED's
Thanks for responding to my old thread!I must start by saying you are not an "idiot" for doing this mod!I know exactly where you are coming from,I too hate my amber switch lights and I think your pictures show the difference is quite dramatic (to me at least!)Your three hours soldering was time well spent.I have not yet attempted to change the switch bulbs yet but it is definately on my list of things to do.