Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #1

Garage
Send a message via MSN to tim986
Supercharger Boost

How much Supercharger Boost does any of you think wouldd be the max ? At the moment I run 5psi which I know is low for good reasons. I would like to go up to 7.5psi ) Do you think it would be safe?

I have a TPC supercharger on my 2.5 and I also have fitted the extra centre radiator a full power flow sports system and EVO intake and IPD intake plenum which I found to be excellent. Havent dynoed it yet as still waiting for funds to purchase the UNICHIP for a proper tune to take full advantage of my mods.

I would really love more boost as I hate being beaten by some jap crap bizo.

Thanks for all your help.

Tim

tim986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Are you running a supercharger without an ECU tune? I didn't think that was even possible. I'd be less concerned about your intake and exhaust and more concerned with fuel supply the octane of your fuel and timing of your ignition. Without a supercharged engine map, the computer is going to be retarding timing based on the knock sensor which is set up for engine preservation, not optimization. Plus if you max out your injectors you'll run lean and quickly kill the engine.
I'd definitely have it tuned before messing with boost levels.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-22-2008 at 05:24 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Lets see... 100 oct. fuel, meth injection, intercooler, careful ECU tuning on a dyno by a very experienced tech who has done many F.I. tunes before. You might get more than a few 1/4 mile runs in before she goes kaboom.

Long term reliable power is just not possible with a factory 2.5 motor at 7.5 boost. Others have tried... it wasn't pretty. Too much compression. Too fragile top end. Watch out! She's gonna blow! Just let those ricers go.

Last edited by Topless; 11-22-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Engine Surgeon

No worries..
Go ahead and scatter parts... Then upgrade the engine with Nickies cylinders, lower CR boost specific pistons, SC cams and our boost specific head prep.

Have fun till she pops.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim986
At the moment I run 5psi which I know is low for good reasons. I would like to go up to 7.5psi ) Do you think it would be safe?
The answer to your question is a quite emphatic NO!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
up to 7 psi

Last winter, I added Air to Air intercooler on my supercharged 3.2. I dropped to 2 psi. I upgraded with 2.95 pulley and air to water intercooler with as short as possible tubing. I added progressive water methanol and 160 degrees thermostat. Ecu is tuned by Imagineauto (giac)and set for Supercharger. I reached easily 7 psi and results were huge. I do drag with my boxster !!!. I love doing it with my car. I did 12.3 at 117 mph. Wheels spinning on trird first speed. Had to add shift light to control spinning. First start at 3600 rpm and shift at 6600. Methanol is set progressive from 2 to 9 psi full flow. Internal temp drops to 75 degrees in full boost. Engine feels like baby and acceleration is surprising from second to fourth speed. At that time you reach quarter mile. I added BF goodrich radial drag (260) and am going to upgrade again. Next step, 2.70 pulley (9 psi) and 315 wide drag tires. Must reach over 425 hp and with practice, easily under 12 seconds. 6 speed transmission is perfect for it. And we do feel Methanol doing it,s job.

Some find me crazy doing it with such jewel, but I think that these Porsche engineers did these cars to outperform. I am setting Youtube site and must be ready in couple of weeks. Hope making you dream. Project always began by a dream. Bests to all of you
Jacques
pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:26 PM   #7

Garage
Send a message via MSN to tim986
boost

thanks for all your help going with 2.95 pully, water injection and a unichip.

ill ket you know the outcomes on the dyno when its all done

cheers
tim986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #8

I used to own one of those Jap cars, an 05 STi with 330whp and 400wtq. Car would run low 12's with a low of 12.0 all day long. That was with exhaust, WI, a tune and some mild match porting of exhaust manifold.

I now drive a 2000 Boxster and though it is slower, it is a truly enjoyable car. It makes beautiful sounds, is fun to drive and is a nice looking car.

My point is, they are different cars for different things. Boxster was never designed to be a race car, just a nice sports car. Let the ricers go and just enjoy you Boxster for what it is, unless you have loads of money and just want to do things the hard way. Then go right ahead. It's only money.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
You are totally right about Boxster. That car is always top quoted as the near to perfect daily driving machine. By hasard, I also drive 2005 Sti 428 whp. One of my sons drive Dodge Ram with 530 hp and the other have an S2000 honda Supercharged. (a bomb) It is a matter of family passion and we form small racing team together. It is true, it costs money, but about same amount than any serious hobby people do. Biking, Yatching, It depends on anyone and the way he does it.

Imagine feeling inside a Boxster S when you push it on quarter mile with around 425 hp. First of all, It is so powerfull, you have to keep eyes on shift light because wheels are spinning so much. And as soon as you stick on road and push it, you feel like you are going to squeeze in trunk. Quarter mile is too short to perform what the car can do. It is amazing. It is another feeling than in Sti. Sti is a strong war machine. I also love it. We just do drag racing. No track racing. It is a very safe sport.
Bests to all readers
Jacuqes

My point is, they are different cars for different things. Boxster was never designed to be a race car, just a nice sports car. Let the ricers go and just enjoy you Boxster for what it is, unless you have loads of money and just want to do things the hard way. Then go right ahead. It's only money.[/QUOTE]

pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote