Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

NHP Headers / Exhaust - power gain???

I saw this stuff on ebay and wondered if it's just nicey and shiny and makes more noise, or if this setup would really make the car noticeably faster.

i'm not uhappy with power. my 2.7L 2000 is fun enough. i have more fun through turns than I do trying to go "fast" in a straight line..but if /when I get the itch to do "something" to the car...after I've exhausted the other easy stuff like SSK, and litronics... this migth be something I would consider.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04-Porsche-986-Boxster-S-NHP-Exhaust-Headers-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec 0Q2em14QQhashZitem330275504715QQitemZ330275504715Q QptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NHP-Exhaust-Porsche-Boxster-986-Performance-Muffler-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec 0Q2em14QQhashZitem360090180636QQitemZ360090180636Q QptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

they have this stuff all over ebay. wondered if anyone used it and was it anygood.

there is a video on teh second link of a 2.5L car with their full system and it sounds pretty cool.

they claim no drone.... anyone have it and can confirm/deny?

i have to admit, it would sound cool...although im sure there woudl be times when you just get plain sick of the noise...and wish it woudl be stock again?!?

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #2

Just from looking, the Fabspeed headers look much better designed and flow better. But I'm sure the maxspeed headers flow a little better than stock. Here is a pic of the fabspeed for comparison.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #3

The rear or exit area of the cats do not seem to show a bung for OMD. If they are not there you will throw a error and not be able to pass emissions tests. However a bung could be welded on if you want to go to the trouble and extra expense. Maybe the bungs are there and just not visible in the photos.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
The rear or exit area of the cats do not seem to show a bung for OMD. If they are not there you will throw a error and not be able to pass emissions tests. However a bung could be welded on if you want to go to the trouble and extra expense. Maybe the bungs are there and just not visible in the photos.

AKL
They are there, you just can't seem them in that photo. Here is another angle.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #5

i was under the impression that the fabspeed setup is THOUSANDS more.

there is a youtube video of a 2.7 boxster with the full fabspeed setup... if you type in "boxster fabspeed" you'll quickly find it (his car sounds great - although not a whole lot different than how my stock 2.7 sounds - at leats o nthis video)..

anyway, i the comments to that video he says the system was something like $4000 or some obscene figure.

no way i'd spend that kind of money. i probably wouldn't even spend $1600 to get the NHP setup. i'll likely just enjoy my stock boxster - and when i get the urge to drop thousands, I"ll just sell my existing car and upgrade to a 987S.

either that or a cayman S. the Cayman S looks sexy...but i love the drop top...so i'd probably just get a newer S. that would be a huge power gain over what i havenow.

maye in a few years when I get bored of this one. for now, i'm still having a blast with my 2000 base!!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I'll be the Guiney Pig

I just dropped my car off at the shop twenty minutes ago. They are installing the Maxspeed / NHP headers with high flow cats and the MaxSpeed / NHP secondary bypass pipes. For now I'm keeping the stock muffler but as soon as I happen to find an extra grand I'll probably pick that up too. The good thing about the NHP stuff is that it's all a direct swap and each piece by itself is OEM compatible.

It's like Christmas for me today. New Headers, new Bypass Pipes, new cross drilled rotors, new pads and an oil/filter change. Man I CAN'T WAIT to drive home tonight!!!! Due to a busted cat, worn pads and rotors I've been squealing and rattling for months! It's going to be sooooo nice to get rid of the annoying sounds and hopefully gain a little hp and a better sounding exhaust.

:dance:
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC

either that or a cayman S. the Cayman S looks sexy...but i love the drop top...so i'd probably just get a newer S. that would be a huge power gain over what i havenow.

maye in a few years when I get bored of this one. for now, i'm still having a blast with my 2000 base!!

Get a 987S and then pick up the Zeintop for the 987. Best of both worlds. You'll look like a Cayman but you can still drop the top (at least from season to season)

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote