Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #1

Need some input on suspension

Soon I plan on upgrading the suspension in my Box. I don't track my car but plan on doing an AX or two next year and maybe a DE. It is nearly a daily driver and we take it on long trips from time to time. The shop where I go is really trying hard to convince me to spend the $$$ on Bilstein PSS9's and I understand it is very adjustable and that it is an excellent system, but it just seems like overkill for me. Personally I want to put the M030 in (much more affordable for me and probably all I need right now).

I do have upper and mid strut braces on order in the mean time (before any suspension).

Those who have switched to the M030, how is it? I see rave reviews on Renntech.
Thanks
Chris

Last edited by Dragonwind; 10-13-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

I love my row m030. I think it's the suspension a true sports car should be equipped with from the start. But the question for you is, what don't you like about your current set up and what are you willing to sacrifice?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:06 AM   #3

I love my M030 suspension. Put it on last year and haven't regretted it a bit. The ride is slightly stiffer, rougher, but the increased handling is worth it...lower center of gravity, stiffer springs, etc. Since it lowers the car slightly (10mm and 20mm IIRC) you also get, IMO, a better overall look....less gap in the wheel well.

I've been on several long trips with this setup and the increased stiffness in the ride is not bothersome at all...unless you're on extremely rough pothole roads. Very noticable there, but otherwise, the ride is quite acceptable. Of course, that may be simply justification for having done it too! I'd suggest trying to find some cars with these setups, going for a ride and see what you think.

I haven't checked recently, but at one time there seemed to be a shortage of M030's around and people were having to wait a month or longer for them to be shipped to the US. I got lucky and happened to get the last one that Suncoast had in stock at the time, according to them

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #4

I've got a set of brand new OEM Boxster S ROW M030 struts available if you're interested. You could always pair these up with either M030 springs or some aftermarket Eibach or H&R springs, as the ROW M030 struts are designed for shorter springs. These are made by Bilstein for Porsche.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #5

I've got the PSS9 springs with JRZ adjustable shocks - WAAAAAY OVERKILL. For street driving and the occasional autoX or DE I'd stick with the ROW M030. The handling limits on my car are simply insane for pushing it on public roads. For that matter you could say the same about the stock suspension and engine power. If you're pushing it that hard to need coilovers on the street, then you shouldn't be allowed to have a driver's license!

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #6

I have a M030 set of 4 springs for sale and a rear sway bar M030 as well.
Couple that with the struts 2 messages above and all you will need is a front sway bar.

Save big money. And yes it is worth the money from a stock setup. I went to HR springs because I like the extra lowering.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #7

I had the M030 set on my car and there was nothing wrong with them at all, but I still put the PSS9's on my car. It seems like little overkill for a daily driver, but I would seriously be happy driving a street legal race car to work.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:18 PM   #8

chaudanova! that is a beautiful car!
that stance is exactly what Im after!
what all has been done to your suspension and how much lower is that from stock?

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote