Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 04:57 AM   #1

HELP! Starting but no Rev

Hi! I've got a small (or large) problem. I have a 2000 Boxster with 56K that's run fine throughout the past year I've owned it. I had a CEL come on last month, but it went off in a day and I thought nothing of it.

Yesterday it was running fine as I was running errands. After my last stop, on my way to head home, I started it up and it started pretty rough. It felt like it was going to turn off as it searched to hold an idle, but then found an idle at 1,000 RPM. Because I was concerned I turned it off, let it sit for awhile, and then restarted. It did the same thing. When I went to put it in first to pull out, I could push the gas, but there was no rev to the engine and it didn't get above 1,000 RPM. Can someone assist in what might be going on? It's sitting downtown and I have to figure out if I need to have it towed.

My thoughts were a vacuum line, but that was just off the little research I could get last night.

Thanks again and I appreciate your input!

Kimberly

kimberly001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #2

This sounds like the MAF. The time when I installed my EVO intake I failed to replace the hose that connects to tube with the Mass Airflow Sensor. Becuase of this the car didn't know what was going on, would idle rough, and not rev. The CEL could also have been related to the MAF.

Granted there could be other things going on, but what I would do first is get into the engine compartment and see if the hose clamps are broken thus causing the hose to come off. I had to replace mine as one was completely rusted through. They are cheap and you can also just get a couple large hose clamps from the hardware store in a pinch.

Best of luck!
Chris
Old 08-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #3

Thanks Chris:
Is this something that could have just vibrated loose which is why it's been fine up until now?

I did find the engine compartment

I'm off to see if I can hopefully fix something

Last edited by kimberly001; 08-10-2008 at 06:16 AM. Reason: I found it :)
Old 08-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #4

I'd try cleaning the MAF sensor. MAF SENSOR CLEANING
Old 08-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #5

Sounds like a problem with the e-gas.

To check the air flow sensor unplug the electrical connector then see if it will rev up.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #6

IMHO - "idle hunting" is usually the MAF going bad. I had a similar symptom on my 1990's my Pathfinder. You can also start the car and gently tap the MAF tube with a screw driver. If the idle changes up or down it's the MAF. The simplest way is the find the CEL code from AutoZone. Replacing the MAF is really simple DIY.

Good luck.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #7

Just in case you don't know the abbreviation being used on this thread...

MAF - Mass Air Fuel (sensor)

Toolpants makes a good point. Before you buy one of these expensive little sensors disconnect it and see if you can rev the motor. Then you'll know it's that and not something else.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Just in case you don't know the abbreviation being used on this thread...

MAF - Mass Air Fuel (sensor)

Toolpants makes a good point. Before you buy one of these expensive little sensors disconnect it and see if you can rev the motor. Then you'll know it's that and not something else.
Mass Air Flow (I sometimes say that too by mistake)

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #9

Well I fixed it, but it wasn't what I thought it would be.

I went to where I had parked it and began to disassemble everything to get into the engine compartment. I looked around for awhile and noticed no loose hoses or anything else that looked out of the ordinary (except the insane amount of dust!).

When looking around on line, it looked like the MAF was near the air filter. So I took the air filter out, but nothing looked out of the ordinary. When I looked down into where I pulled it out of, I noticed a small mulch type wood chip in the bottom over the white circular vent at the bottom of the air filter holder (I know y'all love these technical terms!) Anyway, I removed it and since I couldn't find anything else, put everything back together.

I decided to try the car one more time and it started up like a champ and reved and was ready to go. I'm going to assume that the wood chip, as small as it was which was about the size of your nail bed, blocked the air flow and triggered a sensor which caused it to not go anywhere. Does that make sense?

Thanks so much for everyones input. This is always the first place I come when looking for answers !

Kimberly
Old 08-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly001
I noticed a small mulch type wood chip in the bottom over the white circular vent at the bottom of the air filter holder (I know y'all love these technical terms!)
The technical term for the chip is the S.M.T.W.C. It's in the Bentley manual.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
Mass Air Flow (I sometimes say that too by mistake)
Doh!

Here I am trying to be smart and helpful and I put my foot in my mouth. Never mind.

Kimberley, I'm guessing that by removing the air filter you jogged the MAF a bit.

The thin filament inside it can short out.

I hope it was the wood chip, but if the problem comes back, you'll know right where to look.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-10-2008 at 07:35 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:46 AM   #12

Hey, I was just impressed I fixed it in front of a crowd of 50 people having lunch

I'm with you thinking it still might have something to do with the MAF, but until it starts acting up more often and becomes nonfixable by me, I'll keep doing the air filter shake

I kept the woodchip though. I was just too impressed that a small woodchip could stop a high performance vehicle
Old 08-12-2008, 03:17 AM   #13

I'm glad you get it up and running again! Did you go to the Parade last month?
Maybe I saw you there. Anyways, enjoy!!!
Chris