Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

EVO Intake

Has anyone bought an EVO intake lately? Do the new versions use a dry filter or are they still using a K&N? Does anyone offer a dry replacement for the K&N that I can use with my EVO?

The K&N has fouled my MAF multiple times, causing all sorts of havoc. I've finally become tired of it and want to change it out, but I still like the intake (plus I don't have the stock set-up any more).

Yes, I could ask EVO about the filter replacement on their website, but since they don't return emails, I thought I'd ask you guys.

Sincerely,

The Flashing CEL

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #2

Hi Grizzly, for what its worth, I have cleaned and reoiled my cone-type TTP intake filter element half a dozen times over 20K miles or so, and never had a problem with the MAF.

I have been very impressed that a freshly-cleaned pink filter element becomes blackened after only 500 miles or so. As best as I can tell, the black color is from brake-dust comming off the front brakes and being sucked into the air filter.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #3

The KN filter shouldnt foul your maf if you let it sit overnight, before re-installing. Its amazing how much oil will drip off. I've never had a problem with mine "fouling" a maf, but usually have a CEL on for my intake "operating above factory spec" as porsche says. But its not a problem.

2000 Porsche Boxster
-Straight-piped from cats back
-MOMO race seats
-Schnell short shifter
-RJS Harness
-High flow intake
-Eibach lowering springs
-Bilstein sport shocks
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #4

I may be selling a brand new K&N cone filter from my Agency Power Cold air intake if you're interested. (reason being, I am thinking to use a larger filter with a velocity stack). PM me if you're interested.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #5

Chaudanova, keep us posted on that velocity stack installation. I always thought a little ram air effect could help all the Boxster engines. A cone tube with a DRY paper filter would be ideal. Cone or funnel would compress the air a bit and the dry filter would eliminate MAF woes.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 AM   #6

i was planning on a stack with a larger filter too, but the space is too confined i have no idea how you're going to get anything to fit in there.

FWIW, I have a 3.5" to 4" silicon adapter to a 4" to 6" stack (ram) that got to a filter on my audi. its great : )

i was hoping to buy another setup like that for the boxster, but there is no way that filter would it in the boxster : (
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
I modified my EVO to use an AEM Dryflow airfiliter, and I'm very pleased with it. No MAF worries, and the idle smoothed out. The AEM is 9" long, so I had to space my airbox back just a bit. It wasn't too difficult.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
I modified my EVO to use an AEM Dryflow airfiliter, and I'm very pleased with it. No MAF worries, and the idle smoothed out. The AEM is 9" long, so I had to space my airbox back just a bit. It wasn't too difficult.
Thanks, man. That's what I needed to know. I'll look up AEM.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle986driver
The KN filter shouldnt foul your maf if you let it sit overnight, before re-installing. Its amazing how much oil will drip off. I've never had a problem with mine "fouling" a maf, but usually have a CEL on for my intake "operating above factory spec" as porsche says. But its not a problem.
Whaaaaaat?? And which error code is this exactly??
Old 04-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle986driver
I've never had a problem with mine "fouling" a maf, but usually have a CEL on for my intake "operating above factory spec" as porsche says. But its not a problem.
...not a problem?! CELs dont come on for nothing. get your car to a mechanic.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
just for reference, I got my AEM from Summit racing. Seemed to be the best price.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
...not a problem?! CELs dont come on for nothing. get your car to a mechanic.

no, no, no, no, no...its been to Porsche and they said its fine, Its only "operating above factory spec" which is the whole point of the intake... I check it myself every now and then and its alway the same thing. The way they explained it, its like the MAF thinks theres no air filter and thats why its causing CEL. Its all good.

2000 Porsche Boxster
-Straight-piped from cats back
-MOMO race seats
-Schnell short shifter
-RJS Harness
-High flow intake
-Eibach lowering springs
-Bilstein sport shocks
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote