Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
porsche986

light comming on the dash?

what is this light that comes on the dash, it comes on everytime i drive the car and goes off when i turn the engine off and re-start it.

heres what it looks like, its red

Old 11-05-2004, 03:25 AM   #2

There is a light coming from the rear view mirror that points towards the dash. In my car 2003 S the light iswhite. I can't imagine any other light. I am assuming your light washes on to the dash.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:51 AM   #3

Brake pad wear light

maybe you got a dodgy wear sensor ??
UKBXSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
porsche986

Thankyou for that, I got my pads and discs replaced 2 years ago so i guess they must need doing again although 2 years seems a little fast.. pads that is not discs.

cheers

Last edited by porsche986; 11-05-2004 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #5

C'mon, Porsche986...

That was very sad to see such a bad description.
That looked like a little kids stickmen.

I have seen your artistic work and Photo magic, your very good.

Please don't do that again :>) I expect more from you.

Scott :>)
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
porsche986

:-) scott i was waiting for someone to say that

Little kids stickmen lol that made me laugh after a long hard day

The artwork took me 3 hours in photoshop with 30 layers and 8 effects, it was then installed into flash where it was saved and then loaded into swish as a gif. After swish converted it into avi, it was split in gif and i saved the best frame. The total artwork took 6 hours 45 mins, i was very proud LOL. :-)

I was thinking of getting some prints and listing them on ebay

p.s thanks for the compliment and also the color code chart it may have saved me ALOT of money
Old 11-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by porsche986
Thankyou for that, I got my pads and discs replaced 2 years ago so i guess they must need doing again although 2 years seems a little fast.. pads that is not discs.
It's no surprise to me that your brake pads are worn after 2 years...I'm surprise though that you made them last that long! The faster I drive the faster my brakes wear... there's only so much downshifting one can do when I crest an overpass and the traffic is dead stopped ahead. Those discs and pads are gonna be red hot and wearing fast.

I'm budgeting a new set of tires once a year and brakes every other year or more frequently.

Brings me to a question though... my brakes are squeaking just a little just before the car comes to a complete stop. No dummy lights at this point though. Anyone else experience this and should I get it to the shop right away?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:04 AM   #8
porsche986

Randell the last time i got my brakes done was because of bad discs. They replaced the discs and the squeak went.

check your discs
Old 11-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #9

The squeak on many cars can be fixed by using some water on the caliper[s].

I believe when you wash your car everyone should run some water through there calipers to wash the squeaks away.

The build up of brake material causes squeaking.

By the time you dry your car, and futs [sic] around with it. The brakes will be dry and ready to drive.

Don't be scared to put water on the caliper you won't hurt anything.

Remember putting water on your brakes is nothing compared to what driving through rain does to the brakes.

Braking-

One caveat to your down shifting post - avoid using the engine for a brake.

What's cheaper a set of brakes or an over rev'd motor. I am not saying don't go through the gears as you slow down, just don't use compression to help.

Scott

Last edited by mrmickeymouse; 11-06-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:47 AM   #10
porsche986

Scott, i used to have a annoying squeak all the time and i knew it had something to do with the calipers. I spent all day cleaning them and running water through them and the sqeak went.

When i drive my cars or vans i always brake and slow down and never go through the gears. If i am in 5th gear i brake to a junction and then swap from 5 - 1 and pull off. Not a great way to drive but it saves the gears and doesnt use the engine for the brake. I think its a habbit as i drive with one hand on the gear stick and one on the wheel.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:02 PM   #11

Oh...Oh...

"I think its a habbit as i drive with one hand on the gear stick and one on the wheel."

Nothing black and white on this; but you could be adding a load to your trans by "resting" your hand on the shifter.

Premature wear...

I personally believe the linkage is so sloppy in the Boxster [sorry], that the amount of pressure applied to the trans is nullified by the cables and the shift linkage.

Scott - but I still don't do it.