Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #1

Clear-up De-Snorkel

I am new to the forum and I hate like heck to run an old topic in the ground but I need closure because like many of you out there I am a performance nut and a tinkerer. I have read some of the posts on de-snorkeling and looked at the pic's. My conclusion is: if in fact the snorkel baffels noise then I want performance in place of quiet. However if it really excites the air molecules and improves low end grunt then I say leave it alone. After scrutinizing the pictures I came to the conclusion that if you just plug the hole the left over recess would interrupt air flow. What if you made your own funnel type snorkel and put some type (foam or the like) air cleaner element in the pick-up end of the snorkel wouldn't that increase air intake and still preserve that neat sounding growl? Any and all thoughts would be welcomed.
Tks.,
MR.G.

MR.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
1) if you place a filter in the empty void where the snorkel use to me, you will lose the grunt cause alot of the grunt has to do with the intake noise echo'ing in that empty void.

2) if you place a filter in the empty void where the snorkel use to be, the vacum pressure in the air cleaner/filter box will increase and you will probably start sucking up air through the water drainage ports at the bottom of the air cleaner/filter box and might even suck the foam/spounge pad right out of the drain and pull that into the heads and probably get stuck in a cylindar. Especially when your washing the car and the filter near the vent gets wet cause you'll end up with even more vacum pressure in the air filter box.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote