Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

Unhappy I broke it

Hi Guys,

I did a STUPID thing didn't notice my fuel gauge warning light. The car started to shudder and I looked down to see I was on empty. Long story short: it died only 200 meters from the gas station

Anyway, I pushed the car down and filled up. After attempting to start it 5 or 6 times it shook and shuddered for about 30 seconds and a terrible smell errupted from the engine. Now it seems to drive ok, but my "Check Engine" light won't turn off. Should I just assume something's been triggered because I ran out of fuel, or should I take it seriously and go down to the local Porsche Centre?

Thanks for your help

Steve

sTTevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:52 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I'm not entirely sure how Porsche engines work, but usually the fuel running through the pumps acts as a lubricant...and I do know that bad things can happen to an engine if you run out of fuel. (I ran out of furl with my old 1989 VX Fox...had to replace the fuel pump and fuel transfer pump!!!)

Maybe some guru on here like Tool Pants or mrmickeymouse has better advice, but I would take it pretty seriously, especially if bad smells came out.

Good luck!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #3

Don't worry. The car keeps trying to re-tune itself while you're running out of gas. The reason it took so long to start was because you'd emptied your fuel lines; they had to re-prime themselves. As for the engine light, it will go out after about 50 miles or so. If it doesn't, then disconnect your negative battery terminal (make sure you have your radio code first) and reconnect it after about five minutes. Don't ask me how i know. this.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
If you run you car on E or below most of the time you can overheat the fuel pump. The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel to help with cooling the pump.

Running a car low on fuel constantly, you have more room for condensation of water inside the tank on cooler days. I have seen this as a cause for a mystery driveability problem and or excessive pingging.

I agree with insite, the computers will recalibrate and normal performance will return. The check engine light is probably an upset purge system (evaporative emmisions equipment). Driving on a flat surface for several miles between 50 and 65, constant throttle, the purge system will run its internal dianostics and purge the charcoal canister while cruising. You probably have a few other "soft" or temporary codes (lean misfire, O2 sensor readings) that will reset once the computer recalibrates.

This should shut off the check engine light on its own once the purge cycle is complete. If the light stays on, disconnect the negative cable for a minimum of 2 minutes then reconnect. Make another road trip as described above. If the light comes back on, have it checked by Porsche.

This check engine light can appear when the tank is overfilled, dumping fuel into the canister vent at the top of the filler neck. It can also happen if the gas cap is loose or leaking.

Dave
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:38 PM   #5
Forum Contributor

Excellent. Thanks guys. I drove it around all weekend and it finally disappeared *phew* I'm not letting it get down past 1/4 tank ever again

sTTevo is offline   Reply With Quote