Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #1

rear toe way in, no more adjustment... camber too.

I lowered my 00' S with kw v2s very happy. Had my friend do the alingment on a hunter lazer 3DO rack I feel these are the best. Im certified on this also but dont work some where that I can do it. I trust this guy he said that toe adjustments are toed in on the rear beyond spec and no more adjustment. I slammed my box way down and the camber is way out too. Thats something I dont always take care of on my cars and usually still get 8k miles on the tires, right now I get about 2k. I think the real problem is the toe but I will get camber adjuster if still needed. Is there a way to get a toe adjuster for the rear or new tubular control arms? What has worked for everyone else? Also if there is a recommended camber adjust plate or what ever else. Please help.

(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #2

the toe and camber settings in back strongly affect one another. until you get new toe links, set your current toe links to max toe out. then, adjust your camber until the toe zeroes.

as for a permanent solution, you'll need aftermarket toe links. they're available from Tarrett Engineering and also from Che at Delubozparts (ebay). Che's are fairly affordable (see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-986-Boxster-97-05-Adjustable-Rear-Toe-Arms_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQihZ020QQite mZ300154881897QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247)

no matter what you go with, it's a good investment to buy the concentric bolt locks from Tarrett. the concentric toe adjusting bolt has a tendency to move; these hold them in place so they don't move when you drive. they'll also prevent an alignment shop from using the concentrics to adjust toe rather than the double adjusters on the aftermarket links.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #3

I agree with insite.
Recently I added tarrett control arms to my car and it has cured most of my alignment issues ( my car is lowered almost 2 inches). I have not found affordable rear camber plates for our cars. But hope is alive.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #4

Thanks I have purchased stuff from Che in the past and will probably look into his toe adjuster. I do know what concentric bolts are and would agree they do allow for peace of mind. Question being are Taretts porsche specific or can I get any with proper length and thread pitch? Also all cost aside what camber plates seem to be the best. My car is lowered about 3.5 from stock, yeah way low. In the past with diffrent brand cars Ive come across camber plates that would get in the way with other items fenders, wheels, tires, formed steel in the wheel well, etc. Heard of any of those problems. Oh and my fronts are in spec and the tires are still 70% tread wearing perfectly to 3 sets of rears gone in a year.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
the toe and camber settings in back strongly affect one another. until you get new toe links, set your current toe links to max toe out. then, adjust your camber until the toe zeroes.

as for a permanent solution, you'll need aftermarket toe links. they're available from Tarrett Engineering and also from Che at Delubozparts (ebay). Che's are fairly affordable (see here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-986-Boxster-97-05-Adjustable-Rear-Toe-Arms_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQihZ020QQite mZ300154881897QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247)

no matter what you go with, it's a good investment to buy the concentric bolt locks from Tarrett. the concentric toe adjusting bolt has a tendency to move; these hold them in place so they don't move when you drive. they'll also prevent an alignment shop from using the concentrics to adjust toe rather than the double adjusters on the aftermarket links.
I spoke with Ira (the owner of Tarrett), and he said that these couldn't hurt, but aren't really needed on the boxster... He said that because of the design of the 996/997, that they help on those models, but the boxster design is different and not really necessary. Do you find that your toe gets out of alignment right now without these?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #6

No it stays put, all the way out (as far as that is). Thanks for getting back to me, Ill be getting Che's toe bars and if I have problems later on with them going out of adjustment Ill get in touch with Tarretts. Thank you! ... now any advise on a certain rear camber kit?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #7

For rear toe arms, what do you guys think about Che's arms, compared to the designs by Tarett, TRG, ERP, GMG, etc...

Che's arms:

Versus more traditional proven style from Tarett/TRG/ERP/GMG

Any analysis/breakdown from the different designs?

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 AM   #8

i think che's might be a little better on the hub end. the tarretts & TRG's both use a stock porsche tie rod, which a lot of racers complain about. the porsche motorsport links on the cup cars and RSR's use a bearing with a pin like che's.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn box s
No it stays put, all the way out (as far as that is). Thanks for getting back to me, Ill be getting Che's toe bars and if I have problems later on with them going out of adjustment Ill get in touch with Tarretts. Thank you! ... now any advise on a certain rear camber kit?
If You've bought Che's upper rear control arms, you can adjust them forward to get the toe-in you want. Thats what i did when i lowered my boxster.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote