Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #1

Angry Napleton's of Rockfrod prices are too high!

Okay, so my plan is to buy a used deactivation bar and seat so my child can ride in the Boxster. So I call up Napletons and ask the price on just installation of the bar and the service guy said $519!!!!! Are you kidding I asked, for just installation of the parts I already have? I said it should be an hour of service time and hung up on him.
Has anyone in the Chicagoland area had this done for less? If so please help me out here. Or heck point me in the direction of someone with a computer than can do this and I'll gladly pay them for it.
I think $519 is a little steep for a half hour of work...

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #2

Unfortunately, I was quoted more than that here in Jersey. 1 local shop refused to do the work (liability), and the other quoted me $1500 for the seat + labor. Needless to say, my daughter is not riding in my 987 until she is 12.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #3

That's just crazy... I'm going to ask how much it would be if I buy the components from the dealer... or otherwise I'll do the same as far as having to wait. I'm not sure what the age/weight restrictions are for kids in the front in Illinois.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
If you've got all the parts already, drop the folks at Duramteric a line. I believe their software should be what you would need to take care of things on the ECU end.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
bmussatti

The nice thing about the 2006 987 over the 2005 was the smart air bag system. Both my young children ride in my car with no issues. The air bag turns off automatically based on their weight. I do use a booster seat for my 7 year old based on Illinois state law.

The system is very sensitive. It will even sense if I have my briefcase sitting there, and turn off the airbag because it is not heavy enough. I think the threshold is about 100 pounds. You get a light in the center counsel that states the air bag is off. I have been married 15 years, and consider myself a good husband and gentleman, but I do know that the light goes off when my wife is with me! I also want to be married for at least another 50 years, so I don't ask my wife's weight...but the Boxster knows!!

BMX672, I understand your frustration, but remember many Porsche dealerships have a labor rate that easily exceeds $150-$200 per hour. I really don't think the process you require is just a 1/2 hour job. Nor do I think it is more than 2 hours.

Just another part of the high cost of ownership.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #6

shoot! I should have got an 06 myself if that's the case.....I too suffer from the airbag issue and was quoted 1200 to have it taken care by motorwerks but I trust their service department about as much as I trust my wife with a credit card

bmx...try these guys

Midwest Eurosport
630.595.5577, Bensenville Illinois

Its a shop that apparently does Porsche service, my brother came across them on a service call for work, he said they had a nice shop loaded with porsche's they were working on, if you decide to call them, post how much they want if you wouldn't mind....heck I may just look into it tomorrow myself......
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
shoot! I should have got an 06 myself if that's the case.....I too suffer from the airbag issue and was quoted 1200 to have it taken care by motorwerks but I trust their service department about as much as I trust my wife with a credit card

bmx...try these guys

Midwest Eurosport
630.595.5577, Bensenville Illinois

Its a shop that apparently does Porsche service, my brother came across them on a service call for work, he said they had a nice shop loaded with porsche's they were working on, if you decide to call them, post how much they want if you wouldn't mind....heck I may just look into it tomorrow myself......

that place is definitely nice.
also, try eurosport, they do the same thing, they got some really nice rides at their shop
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #8

I forgot about those guys!!!
They are only 2 miles from my work too!!! Right on the other side of O'Hare.
I'm going to call them today!
I'll let everyone know what they say just in case anyone else is in my shoes.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #9

If i was this garage i wouldn't appreciate that title "rip-off". It suggests that you paid for something you didn't get. They gave you a price that you didn't like, end of story and you go find a place that's more reasonable. I'm sure there are many of them that won't over inflate the "true" costs.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:41 AM   #10

It's not the first time they did this...
I wanted a PPI on my car before I bought it... I went to a dealer in Madison Wisconsin because Napleton's wanted around $400!!! The Madison dealer charged $125... and they had the same criteria.

I don't know why I even call Napleton's anymore. I have no idea how they are in business being close to Madison and the Chicago burbs.

I have NO problem paying for work on my car... I do however have a problem being taken advantage of. And I've avoided that thus far by calling around.

So I could care less what they think of my feelings.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #11

By the way I said "they are a rip-off"

I did not say "they ripped me off"
Old 01-25-2008, 07:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
I wanted a PPI on my car before I bought it... I went to a dealer in Madison Wisconsin because Napleton's wanted around $400!!! The Madison dealer charged $125... and they had the same criteria.

I don't know why I even call Napleton's anymore. I have no idea how they are in business being close to Madison and the Chicago burbs.

I have NO problem paying for work on my car... I do however have a problem being taken advantage of. And I've avoided that thus far by calling around.

It doesn't appear that you were taken advantage of. They quoted you a price you did not like. You did not buy from them.

How were you taken advantage of?

If they quoted you one price and then tried to change it, well, that would be bad.

I think this kind of thing happens all the time all across the country. There is no uniform price for service work. That is the way the market works.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Yes. This is America after all. They have a right to charge whatever they want for goods and services, and we have a right to choose whether we want to do business with them or not. If you don't like their price...move on. No harm, no foul.

If they are not competitive with others in the area their business will suffer over time.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #14

I'll do it for $518. Take all of 5 minutes to modify the air bag control unit from not active to active.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I'll do it for $518. Take all of 5 minutes to modify the air bag control unit from not active to active.

Make it $517 and we have a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #16

Do I hear $200? Anyone? $200?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #17
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672

OK, so you drove from Loves Park to Madison, and returned. That's about 4 hours round-trip. Paid for gas and tolls. Then sat there for an hour or 2 while they preformed the PPI. How much is your time worth. Don't forget that value too.

You did not "save" the difference between the $400 and the $125 charged. You may have even lost money on the deal if you are a high wage earner.

Just food for thought.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
OK, so you drove from Loves Park to Madison, and returned. That's about 4 hours round-trip. Paid for gas and tolls. Then sat there for an hour or 2 while they preformed the PPI. How much is your time worth. Don't forget that value too.

You did not "save" the difference between the $400 and the $125 charged. You may have even lost money on the deal if you are a high wage earner.

Just food for thought.
you make a valid point. Still, there are additional benefits gained from such a trip. I will happily go out of my way to enjoy good customer service and in this often dishonest field of auto-mechanics, I will certainly drive out of my way to reward a shop who gives me a fair price and proves to be trustworthy.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti

Just food for thought.

Ah, those opportunity costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #20

4 hours? It's 60 miles... I don't mean to give a geography lesson... but, Loves park to madison is one hour without speeding... and besides the PO took it to the dealer... So that whole ordeal took no time or tolls etc...