Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #1

Porsche Emblem 2 Part Question

So on my 01 Boxster S the emblem on the center of the steering wheel is color silver. What color is it on everyone else's? Is silver the normal or correct color? In looking at photos at other Boxsters It seems like everyone else has the traditional gold shield, placed on the steering wheel. Has anyone on the forum replaced the steering wheel emblem? Hard to do? Risk of tearing the leather? Adhesive, and what kind? But mostly my main concern in doing a switch out is will I inadvertently set off the air bag? I know its kind of trivial thing but when I'm driving and look down at the wheel it just seems a bit off/odd with a silver emblem. Should really be the traditional gold IMO.

-VICTORY :troll:

victory3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory3
So on my 01 Boxster S the emblem on the center of the steering wheel is color silver. What color is it on everyone else's? Is silver the normal or correct color? In looking at photos at other Boxsters It seems like everyone else has the traditional gold shield, placed on the steering wheel. Has anyone on the forum replaced the steering wheel emblem? Hard to do? Risk of tearing the leather? Adhesive, and what kind? But mostly my main concern in doing a switch out is will I inadvertently set off the air bag? I know its kind of trivial thing but when I'm driving and look down at the wheel it just seems a bit off/odd with a silver emblem. Should really be the traditional gold IMO.

-VICTORY :troll:
WOW! So you want to switch it back? Sounds like the previous owner must have made that mod. What color is on the hood of your car? What colors are on your center caps? I was trying to keep mine all the classic gold type, but after I bought new rims with color matching paint I had to switch them for the silver ones. Now my hood badge is gold and my steering wheel is gold too. I wish they were all the same color, but it's really a personal preff.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by victory3
So on my 01 Boxster S the emblem on the center of the steering wheel is color silver. What color is it on everyone else's?
On my '01 S, the steering wheel has a colored emblem, options that seem to match would be 432 (sports steering wheel) and 446 (color crested wheel caps)?

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #4

Emblem.

Yes my emblem has the red painted accents but the metal itself is silver. Looks like yours tboyer. On the hood is the classic gold as are the stock wheel caps which are on stock rims. 432 & 446 options huh? Yeah I would like to switch it back. Like I said it just feels a bit off with the emblem in silver. I love modern Porsches but think we should have some of the tradition and heritage blended in. To me the gold is traditional and more classic looking.

-VICTORY

Hey 986SPYDER, whats with the red stripes at the tail lights? Pretty cool, custom mod I assume?

-V

Last edited by victory3; 12-20-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #5

Mine was silver. It would not suprise me that in the hundreds of available options, a painted crest on the steering wheel would be available.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #6

[QUOTE
Hey 986SPYDER, whats with the red stripes at the tail lights? Pretty cool, custom mod I assume?

-V[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's supposed to be reminicent of the original 550 Porsche Spyder that our Boxsters are based on. Lets not forget where the design of Boxster came from. Take a look at this picture and you can see the similar shape of the 2 cars.

RUF also has there own Spyder Kompresor which is superchaged. There Boxster conversion is what inspired me to add the red striping.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 12-20-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #7

Hey Victory,
The emblem on the steering wheel is usually stuck on via 3M backing. Hopefully, this is true for yours too. I personally like the steering wheel without the emblem so I removed mine shortly after I purchased the car. I was able to remove it just by using dental floss---lift one of the corners just enough to fit the floss behind it and slowly drag it down with a side to side motion. There was some sticky residue left, but I just used soap and water to get it off. Good luck!

Spyder, nice pics!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
Hey Victory,
The emblem on the steering wheel is usually stuck on via 3M backing. Hopefully, this is true for yours too. I personally like the steering wheel without the emblem so I removed mine shortly after I purchased the car. I was able to remove it just by using dental floss---lift one of the corners just enough to fit the floss behind it and slowly drag it down with a side to side motion. There was some sticky residue left, but I just used soap and water to get it off. Good luck!

Spyder, nice pics!
I believe the later models 2000 and up that use the 3 spoke steering wheel are embedded and not stuck on with adhesive like the earlier 4 spoke wheels are. If you remove it completely it will show a indentation.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Mine is silver. I prefer the silver and changed the airbag for one with a silver crest. I also have a silver hood crest and non-color wheel center caps.

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #10

Garage
ddb, love the interior, i was wondering if the graphite ups would be too much, very nice, who did you buy the replacements from?

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #11

Yes, my steering wheel (re: 4 spoke from a 1999) too has the indentation with the Porsche logo. The emblem fit perfectly inside the indention making it flush with the rest of the wheel.

Well, that is interesting. If it is not just stuck on with 3M or glue, then there could be other underlying issues with it's removal. Maybe one of the other guys with a later model who has removed their emblem could chime in and help Victory out.

Hey ddb? How did you take your emblem off?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #12

Thanks All....

Hey thank you all for the help/tips. I have not yet tried to remove the emblem as I was not sure if it would some how trigger the Air Bag. But looks like I can just peel it off. Like the floss technique 986spyder, thanx. I always knew that the Boxster design was based off of the 550 Spyder, but the images that I have seen have always had that model in pure straight silver. I think that is very very very cool on the red stripe. Love the RUF kits but crazy expensive...
ddb, great interior, love that center console.

-VICTORY 3 :dance:
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #13
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
tboyer, thanks. If you are referring to the carbon fiber parts I ordered a couple of pieces new from a Porsche dealership. The other pieces were bought off of eBay over the last year or so.

dcporsche99, I switched the whole airbag. My original 3-spoke had a gold crest. I bought a new airbag with the silver crest and sold the original. If I remember correctly Toolpants reported he (or someone he knew) actually replaced the crest on a 3-spoke airbag by taking it apart and removing the rivets from behind.

victory3, thanks very much.

ddb
Old 12-21-2007, 04:58 AM   #14

Wow, I always learn something new on this site! Gotta love it! Rivets ---good to know ddb --thanks for the reply!

BTW, I'll have to second tboyer on the nice job you've done to the interior!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #15

Only the 2000 S came with the silver crest because it was the millenium. A 2000 base Boxster still had the 4 spoke wheel so there was no metal crest. 2001 both models came standard with a 3 spoke with a colored crest.

We have local owners with 3 spoke wheels who have swapped air bags because they wanted a different color crest. People with a silver car seem to like a silver crest. Then there were these thin crested decals sold on ebay you could stick over the crest to change the color, rather than swapping air bags.

My 1997 came with a 4 spoke. Years ago I bought a 3 spoke and air bag from a local guy who was converting his 2000 S to a track car. So I have a 3 spoke with silver crest.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
dcporsche99,

Thanks for the compliment on the interior.

I just want to clarify on the rivets securing the crest. This is only on the 3-spoke wheels that started with the 2000 Boxster S. The 4-spoke steering wheels had the logo 'carved' in the plastic, and wasn't something that could be removed. The aftermarket provided gold or silver crests that could fit inside the carved area on the 4-spoke wheels, which aren't secured with rivets, but with various types of adhesives.

I just want to make sure I'm not providing misinformation.

BTW, my 2000 Base had a 4-spoke steering wheel when I bought it. I changed it to the 3-spoke style.

ddb
Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #17

Metal Pedals

Hi DDB.

Nice racing pedals on your car.

Where did you get that modification? Did you custom fit them? How much will it cost?

Thanks
rich500ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #18
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Rich,

Thanks...

The metal pedals are inexpensive replicas I bought off of eBay for $100 with shipping. They are attached with a couple of screws and nuts so I had to drill holes in each pedal.

Overall a rather easy and worthwhile modification. Attached is a thread with before and after pictures and some more information.

Good luck,

ddb

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11965