Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #1

Lightbulb best upgrades for my boxster???

Hello everyone. This is my very first Porsche and i absolutely love it! its a 1999 boxster, with stock everything. I have about 3 grand that i want to use to upgrade my boxster's perfomance, appearance, handling, etc etc. My question to all of you is, if you were limited to $3,000, what would you upgrade on this porsche??? Thanks!

rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
1. De-snork it. Hey, it's free!
2. Get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires
3. Get a current Snell SA helmet
4. Do a DE and get as much Auto-X and track time as you can!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Post a pic of your ride. It will help us to let you know what you can to it. Before you start changing stuff I'd make sure the car is up to date tune up wise. How many miles are on it?

Get this short shift kit,flip the shaft 180 degrees and your car will be a lot sportier
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-PORSCHE-911-996-986-BOXSTER-SHORT-SHIFTER-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQihZ010QQitem Z200179636016QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old 12-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #4

For looks, get new lights all the way around. It will make the car look 5 years newer!

- Litronic Headlights (or possibly clear halogens) $600-1300
- Smoked side markers $40
- Red/Clear factory tail lights $170

For performance, tires and performance driving school.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #5

it has 65,000 miles on it. all scheduled maintenance have been done on time. im the second owner. im thinking of putting a gt2 or gt3 front bumper on it as well as side skirts. also i wanna upgrade the exhaust system to get that beautiful sound in the low rpms as well. what do you guys think?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have a '99 Boxster too. I have been happily upgrading for the past few months, without going over $3k. It depends on what you want to do.
I would definitely recommend doing the OBC hack if your car doesn't have it. Spoiler stickers are a fun addition, especially with the in-dash spoiler switch mod. There's also desnorking, hardtops, clear headlights, etc.
It's up to you what you want to do.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #7

Rollin' on 16s ain't cool.

GET WHEELS/TIRES!
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #8

Desnork A few Horses
LOWER IT!! Handles great and looks sharp
Short shift Kit Adds to fun to drive factor
I like the GT3 bumper and side skirts Looks great (see my car)
Buy a used exhaust All for the sound!!!

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #9

Gotta upgrade those wheels to some 18"ers. That will gobble up at least 2 grand with tires. After that I'd go for the Turbo sytle or GT2 bumper. It make a huge difference on the looks. I can't stand the stock front bumper that Boxsters come with. It's going to cost more then 3 grand so keep saving your$$. Upgrading the lights all the way around make a big improvment too.

I have to warn you though, once you start installing upgrades, it becomes addicting. Good luck with what ever you decide. Post some pics when your done.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #10

Talking

thanks guys! with all ur inputs and checkin out all your guys' upgrades and mods, along with a lot of research on my own..ive decided to throw some 19's, lower it by 1", install some spacers to bring the wheels out a little, desnorkle it, install the gt2 front bumper and side skirts (looks amazing with the 1" drop all around!), im also getting myself a maxspeed-motorsports sport muffler(wow..let me just say, what a beautiful sound), xenon headlights, and last but not least those chrome fender vents!

this is obviously gunna be way more then 3grand, but im sure you all agree..its worth every penny! im shopping around for these parts, so if you guys know of any shop that sells them at a great price, let me know! hopefully by the beginning of january, ill post up some pics of my NEW boxster. man, im excited!lol. thanks once again, and keep the ideas coming
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Moostang
Smile

Congrats on the Box man, you'll love it.

I have a set of 17'' boxster S rims that have been re-finished and never put back on.

I also have a set of H & R lowering springs for an S as well. I don't see why they wouldn't work for your car. If Im wrong someone chime in. I'll sell em to you real cheap, plus im in S.D. as well.

Welcome
Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #12

Go to discounttiredirect.com I got a set of chrome voxx 18 S staggered with tires for $1250 shipped to my door with free lugs locking ones also and a free small air compresser very nice wheels
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #13

Exclamation

bear with me since im a first time porsche owner...but what do you guys mean by "de-amber". i know its the headlights, but can you just take the headlight out, and is the amber just a plastic piece i can just remove? or do you guys mean take out the headlights completely and add a new set of headlights?? just wondering cuz i was looking around, and those xenon headlights are like 2 grand..ouch.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
Rennzenn

Garage
de-ambering involves swapping out not only the headlights, but also the tail lights and the side markers. Fortunately, those aren't too pricey. The tail lights go for around 160-180, the side markers 10-40. There's two options for the fronts. Either do the Litronic swap, or you may be able to find some clear halogens for about half the price.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:31 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty
thanks guys! with all ur inputs and checkin out all your guys' upgrades and mods, along with a lot of research on my own..ive decided to throw some 19's, lower it by 1", install some spacers to bring the wheels out a little, desnorkle it, install the gt2 front bumper and side skirts (looks amazing with the 1" drop all around!), im also getting myself a maxspeed-motorsports sport muffler(wow..let me just say, what a beautiful sound), xenon headlights, and last but not least those chrome fender vents!

this is obviously gunna be way more then 3grand, but im sure you all agree..its worth every penny! im shopping around for these parts, so if you guys know of any shop that sells them at a great price, let me know! hopefully by the beginning of january, ill post up some pics of my NEW boxster. man, im excited!lol. thanks once again, and keep the ideas coming

Ive de-ambered all round, de-snorkled and thrown 19's on, i have 02-s, and i like the s front bumper. sideskirts and lowering are on my agenda.

its a great car and in the best colour

James
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Post a pic of your ride. It will help us to let you know what you can to it. Before you start changing stuff I'd make sure the car is up to date tune up wise. How many miles are on it?

Get this short shift kit,flip the shaft 180 degrees and your car will be a lot sportier
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-PORSCHE-911-996-986-BOXSTER-SHORT-SHIFTER-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33736QQihZ010QQitem Z200179636016QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Hey Blinkwatt,

what do you mean by, "flip the shaft 180 degrees"? When you do the install, put it in backwards? I'm thinking about getting SSK as well. Just wondering what that means.

Thanks
2fast2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:28 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast2c
Hey Blinkwatt,

what do you mean by, "flip the shaft 180 degrees"? When you do the install, put it in backwards? I'm thinking about getting SSK as well. Just wondering what that means.

Thanks
The piece of metal that has a nut and bolt going through it. Loosen the nut,flip it 180 degrees and the shift kit feels like the $300 Porsche one.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
de-ambering involves swapping out not only the headlights, but also the tail lights and the side markers. Fortunately, those aren't too pricey. The tail lights go for around 160-180, the side markers 10-40. There's two options for the fronts. Either do the Litronic swap, or you may be able to find some clear halogens for about half the price.

thanks for the info. just wondering, do you know of any websites or shops where i can find those clear halogens you were talking about? thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty
bear with me since im a first time porsche owner...but what do you guys mean by "de-amber". i know its the headlights, but can you just take the headlight out, and is the amber just a plastic piece i can just remove? or do you guys mean take out the headlights completely and add a new set of headlights?? just wondering cuz i was looking around, and those xenon headlights are like 2 grand..ouch.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-Headlights-CLEAR-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ007QQitem Z170175726079QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #20

Funny how easily mod-ingitis takes you from a $3k budget to "the works".

Those headlights had a rough life! Keep looking and you'll find some in much better shape

[shameless plug]debating litronics and might be selling mine soon; they've had an amberdectomy to be 100% clear[/shamless plug]