Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #1

Coolant and Radiator

Hey guys,

I seem to be suffering a coolant leak which I had my local Porsche centre examine and 'fix'. They simply replaced the expansion tank in the trunk.

I drove the car this morning and again the coolant leaked. There appears to be a significant amount of water come out of the front passenger side radiator (UK car right hand drive).

Does anyone know if these two are related and whether the radiator leak is the cause of my coolant disappearing?

paultither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #2

Can't be sure with such a short story. The coolant tanks are known to fail. Assuming your rear trunk (boot) was also wet, then its replacement made sense. Having replaced the tank and kept pressure where it should be, it could be that the next "weak" spot gave out.. in this case a line/fitting at the front of the car.

Had you noticed where it was leaking before the coolant tank replacement? Was it actually water instead of coolant? (ie an a/c evaporator dripping vs actual engine coolant leaking?)
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Can't be sure with such a short story. The coolant tanks are known to fail. Assuming your rear trunk (boot) was also wet, then its replacement made sense. Having replaced the tank and kept pressure where it should be, it could be that the next "weak" spot gave out.. in this case a line/fitting at the front of the car.

Had you noticed where it was leaking before the coolant tank replacement? Was it actually water instead of coolant? (ie an a/c evaporator dripping vs actual engine coolant leaking?)
I agree with racer-d, I have had this "next weak spot" scenario happen on two other non-boxster cars.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:30 AM   #4

It is always coolant that appears out of the front radiator. I think it is too much of a coincidence that large amounts of water collect on the ground from the location of the radiator, and the coolant warning light coming on indicating a low level of coolant. There are no other leaks from anywhere else in the car.

If you fill the coolant tank and leave the car there are no leaks and the coolant level remains the same. It is only when the car is run that the leaking starts. I checked in after a short blast and the radiator was soaking wet, all the internal area around it was also damp.

I am getting a new one fitted on Tuesday so hopefully the problem will be solved.

paultither is offline   Reply With Quote