Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #1

Reseting a remote

Hi guys, do you know if it possible to reset the key remote without having to re-programme the whole thing at a dealership?

The key worked not so long ago but has since stopped working. The battery still works as the light on the remote comes on, however the car will not unlock. I have to use the key in the door which only leaves me 10 seconds to start the car before the alarm goes off.

The other remotes light does work when the button is pressed, nor does it unlock the car. Any suggestions?

Last edited by paultither; 11-26-2007 at 02:29 AM.
paultither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #2

On your year you have a 2 button remote.

I take it you cannot lock the car with the lock/alarm button. When you press this button does the red light on the key head work?

Does the other button on the remote for the rear trunk/boot work? Does the light come on when you press this button?

The car came with 2 remotes. What does the other remote do if you have it?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 AM   #3

When I press both remote buttons the light does work but neither of them seem to do anything. I know that it is possible to have them reprogrammed by Porsche but is it possible to reset the remote sensor and remote.

I have been told that the code the remote sends to the car must match other wise the car will not unlock. If this is the case, how do you reset the code?
paultither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #4

The only thing I can think of for you to try is to take out the battery inside the remote. Put the battery back in upside down for at least 10 seconds. Then put the battery back in the correct way.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 11-27-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 AM   #5

What does putting the battery in upside-down do? First time I've heard of that...

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote