Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #1

Question Engine Mounts

Has anyone changed their engine mounts or got them changed by the dealer. I live in PR and over here its more like a do it your self, cause dealers are too crapy and you have to wait weeks even months before you get your car done. My Dad and I work every car we have but we wanted to keep my car in oem condition and done by trained people. Iwas told this was difficult due to the engine location. If anyone has had this done or know anything please reply or send me an e-mail at sergiorortiz@gmail.com If its not related to the question please don't use this e-mail adress for anything else!!! Hope to get some replies soon!!!!

BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #2

What is the purpose of changing an engine mount?
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #3

The engine mounts are what hold engine and dampen engine moving when accelerating. On renntech.org I found another guy that changed his mounts on his 98. Also found that 98 boxster had a rubber bushing that wore out quickly. Everytime I accelerate hard it makes sort of a clunk noise that comes from the engine. If there is anyone with a lot of knowledge about this matter please do so and correct me. Also, would it be better to upgrade mounts to polyurethane or buy new 03spec and up mounts that fix this problem by adding a metal plate at the end of each side of the rubber?

Last edited by BoxsterRS; 02-13-2006 at 03:44 PM.
BoxsterRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterRS
The engine mounts are what hold engine and dampen engine moving when accelerating. On renntech.org I found another guy that changed his mounts on his 98. Also found that 98 boxster had a rubber bushing that wore out quickly. Everytime I accelerate hard it makes sort of a clunk noise that comes from the engine. If there is anyone with a lot of knowledge about this matter please do so and correct me. Also, would it be better to upgrade mounts to polyurethane or buy new 03spec and up mounts that fix this problem by adding a metal plate at the end of each side of the rubber?
Hi,

The first thing you need to do is verify that it's the Mounts. These are Mucho Expensive and so you don't want to replace them needlessly.

Get the Car on a lift and startit and rev the motor all the while looking at it from underneath for excess movement. It could just as easily be a loose Exhaust Mount or Heat shield causing the problem.

Also, stay with OEM. Poly Bushings (if available) will not be reliliant enough and will make the shutter harsher and be much noisier too.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #5

I had this question before and currently working on mine. View the link and you will find another link for the install.

Technolab Remanufactured Mounts

Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
JaysPcar is offline   Reply With Quote