Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #1

Reccomended Cat-back Exhaust for my 99 2.5L?

Hi All,
I have been searching the forums but what should I be looking at for a cat -back system to improve performance for street? At the very least, besides Fabspeed, what other brands are good for this?
Thanks
Chris Caouette

Last edited by Dragonwind; 10-23-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Dragonwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
Hi All,
I have been searching the forums but what should I be looking at for a cat -back system to improve performance for street? At the very least, besides Fabspeed, what other brands are good for this?
Thanks
Chris Caouette
B&B Bullet is a great choice. Check out their website for sound clips and also youtube. I love my B&B for my Z06.
Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #3

Chris, whatever muffler you choose, know that the swap will be for a sound enhancement, not a HP gain that one can feel.

Changing your headers will give you 15 HP though.

Whatever you buy, insure it has a money back guarantee you can use if the muffler has resonance between 2-3k. It can get very loud and give you a headache if you get a two-chamber muffler with a lot of resonance like the one I am running (DelubozParts).

I love the sound of my exhaust and much larger headers with the top down, but with the top up and windows down, the drone at 2-3k rpm, such as one would maintain while bumping along in traffic, is simply unbearable.

You'll pay a LOT more for a muffler that is advertised as having no resonance, but it's worth the money.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #4

Randall,
Thanks for the input. I was under the impression I would get a small HP gain out of upgrading the cat back, but I see now I should change out the headers too.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-24-2007, 01:22 PM   #5

Swapping out the TINY headers on your car for some nice aftermarket ones with larger pipes will actually register on the butt dyno. More power across the whole RPM range. Here's a dyno pull of what it did for my 2.5:

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Dragonwind,

I recently added a Stebro Sport exhaust to my 986. So far I like it a lot.

RandallNeighbour's advice above is very good. My exhaust is noticeably louder in the cabin with the top up. With the top down the sound is either masked by wind noise or just doesn't resonate as much with the open top.

I'm really curious to hear what it sounds like with my hardtop installed.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #7

Thanks again. What about for the CAT? Should I even bother replacing those when I put in headers and muffler? $ is the other issue and I have to budget accordingly.
Thanks
Chris