Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #1
porsche986

soft top

anyone have a problem like this..

after i have the hood down and i want to put it up i press the button as normal and it goes up fine, i get to the last stage when it needs to latch and sometimes the windows go up 3 quaters.. i relatch it again and again and then the windows come up... sometimes i can get it first time but someone it needs a few goes.. i kind of know as it feels better when it latches correctly,

Old 08-24-2004, 02:16 PM   #2

There is a microswitch in the main hooking point, it sounds like it may be giving you a problem.

The microswitchs are so tiny [duh] they are hard to work on.

I would feel and look up in that area and see if there appears to be anything wrong.

I have never taken it apart before, but I have experienced that problem when I forgot to latch the top down and tried to operate the windows.

Also are you saying the windows go up by themself's or when you try to push the buttons.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:10 AM   #3
porsche986

the windows only go up when i push them to go up, but they stop about 3 inches from closing. I need to re-latch the top a few times hard.. then they are ok
Old 08-25-2004, 08:11 AM   #4

Sure sounds like the microswitch. Glue a piece of cardboard the size of the button for the switch that gets pushed in when the roof is latched.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
porsche986

thanks for the help...

toolpants.. do you know anything about BMW m3 cabs? my BMW has an automatic hood and it wont go up or down... the windows use to drop after i pushed the hood up but now they dont everything is just dead....

i think there is a microswitch in the roof that tells the motor the hood is up high enough to start the next microswitch.

i think it may be this.. or the motors may need tuning from the dealer well thats according to bmw anyways...

any idea>