Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2004, 08:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Unhappy Ignition does not start -- Power is OK

Sometime the ignition does not start the car, no sound at all, but the power to the radio, instrument pannel is fine. When that happened, I usually had to either clutched it again OR turned the key back and restarted again, then it worked. Sometimes I had to repeat it a few times before it started, sometimes, it started the second try. I did clutched it all the way down since I've known that it could be the problem, but I do not think so. Also, the issue used to happen less frequently, now it seems to have happened more frequently. Also, it tends to happen more consistently when the car has been driven for a while (about 40mins) and then parked for a while (like few hours), then when I tried to drive it again then I could not start it the first time. Also, the weather is hot, around 90+ degrees (Los Angeles). If I drove it a while like I said above, parked, stopped the engine and tried to restart the engine immediately, then it started OK. Also, I have notice recently (by experimenting) that if I got into the car, turned the key to the right all the way without starting the engine, and let it in that state until everything the the car functions (like lights, radio, oil full meter check, etc...), then start the ignition, then more often it works the first time.

What could be the issue here? Thanks for all your help.

oracle9i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #2

The Boxster has had a cronic problem with the ignition switch. If playing with the key and turning it on and off gets the car to start then that is the problem.

You did not say what year you have, but there was a recall for some 1997s. But 1998 up until the recent redesign have the same problem, but there was no recall except for 1997.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Mine is 2000, 2.7. I've gotten the car used in 2002, there were no problem until few months ago. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:56 PM   #4

I have no other input. 2000 has the same problem with the switch, as does 1997-1999, and 2001-2002. There have been 4 versions of that Audi switch over the years. 2003 is completely different.

That is what I would have checked out first.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:38 PM   #5
b0xt0La

Try turning the key all the way to the left before starting. If this doesn't work then to the dealer you should go.

My Ignition was messed up then the dealer replaced it for me for $400. I could've lived with the faluty ignition as long at I manually turn the key to the left after the car started. The ignition switch costs less than $30, but replacing it is a hassel.

Last edited by Alienz; 08-21-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
Forum Member

I will try to turn the key all the way to the left first and see what happens. Thanks for all your input.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:24 PM   #7

Did you get this fixed ??

Oh and.. should'nt you be on 11i by now ??LOL

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 06:51 AM   #8

I had a similar problem with the ignition switch.

I always turn it to the right to start the engine, and then move it back slightly until it clicks into the II spot. If I don't do this, the windscreen wipers may not work, the radio won't come on or the headlights may not go to full beam.

Once you know the trick, there's no problem, but it was quite worrying when I discovered the problem initially.

All OK now, and I can't justify the $400 for the new ignition - I just let it click back in place.

Are the any other little idiosyncracies that I should know about?

aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote