Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 03:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
How much did you pay for it and where did you get it from? I think this is the route I'd like to go too. I don't want the resonance problems that people seem to have with most aftermarket exhausts. So far the PSE or a modified stock muffler like the PSE are the only options I've found without a resonance issue....

Please do post your experience once you get the PSE and take LOTS of pictures.
I'm not getting the OE PSE, i'm getting the STEBRO Sport Exhaust. I don't expect to get rid of the resonance with this muffler. I have a GHL so anything will be better. I bought it from eBay and i used the "Make an offer" option. If your not in a hurry and your interested in this muffler wait for my posts. I just paid for it yesterday, it will ship from their Swiss office to Ottawa, then to me. I expect 3 weeks or so. He had 10 available on eBay before i bought. I notice he now has 8.

Last edited by Chris_Craft; 09-30-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Craft
I bought it from eBay and i used the "Make an offer" option. Honestly, i was suprised that they accepted my offer.
So how low was your offer? I will offer accordingly. I have a number in my head and if I could get it for that, I'd be thrilled but, cheaper is always better. Did you get the Fabspeed cat deletes with it or just the muffler? I'm going to offer on the race system with the cat deletes next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebro
I took the time to get some accurate weights:
Stock system 39.5 lbs
Stebro Racing system 10 lbs
Stebro Racing system 18.75 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebro
3)Weights (factory system 78lbs, Stebro Sport system 24 lbs, Stebro Racing system 14 lbs
They truly just pulled some numbers out their ass for that one, not a single one of those is correct.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:26 PM   #23

Guys, you have to really READ the descriptions to get the weight differences

(And before anyone asks, NO, I don't work for STEBRO. I live in SoCal and bought a Racing Muffler from them a couple of months ago and I LOVE it. Big sound, meaty and aggressive.)

So here's the deal: STEBRO sells 4 "systems" for the 986 and they fit both 2.7 and 3.2:

* System 1: Sport Muffler - This one just replaces the stock muffler. And it is about 1/3 the weight of the stock. This is the bigger (thicker) of the two STEBRO mufflers, the one that looks more oval. It has double chambers, makes less noise and less resonance.

* System 2: Racing Muffler - Again, this one just replaces the stocker and its even lighter than the Sport muffler. This is the one that looks rounder, like two long cans. Its basically a straight-pipe with some baffling. Pretty darn loud

* System 3: Sport Muffler (same one as System 1 above) WITH Secondary Cat-delete pipe - this is the System 1 muffler with a straight pipe that replaces the pipe-and-secondary muffler. Connects to the pipe that leads to the Primary Cat and the Header.

* System 4: Racing Muffler (same one as System 2 above) WITH Secondary Cat-delete pipe - this is the System 2 muffler with a straight pipe that replaces the pipe-and-secondary muffler. Connects to the pipe that leads to the Primary Cat and the Header.

Now go re-read the STEBRO weight descriptions of the EXHAUSTS (not just the mufflers) and the weights start to make more sense. The stock muffler and both secondary Cats do weigh about 75 lbs.

Like I said, I don't work for Stebro, but I think they are a class-act. Dan Petschenig, who is the head of the company answered all my e-mails and annoying questions and could not have been cooler.
ocelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #24
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Guess what arrived at my office today....

Not a thing of beauty, but the tips look decent, and that's all you'll see.

Scale at work was flickering between 15 & 16 pounds.

I hope I can get enough time this weekend to install it. I'll report back once it's on.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #25

It looks like the right side inlet is damaged. Is that just the angle in the picture?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Good eye Adam. As soon as I removed the cardboard protective sleeve I noticed it hadn't done its job. Or it was damaged before it was packed. I do believe the pictures make it look worse than it really is. It shouldn't be difficult to fix before installation.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #27

I received mine as well. I will hopefully get it installed this week.
I guess they ran out of decals.

Last edited by Chris_Craft; 10-10-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #28
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I finally wrapped up the install of my Sport Stebro exhaust this evening. It took days to install because I only worked on it for 1.5 hours or so after work, and I'm slow. I haven't driven it, but idling and revving standing still sounds amazing! I haven't had the privilege of hearing in person some of the other popular exhaust systems, so I have nothing to compare the sound to except the stock system. I'll report more after giving it a thorough test on Saturday.

Here are a few pics. I think I can get the tips better centered in the relief of the bumper cover, but don't feel like doing it right now. I also think I need to work on my spoiler. Does it look like the gap between the spoiler and the top of the bumper cover it too big?

yellowboxster01, thanks for starting this thread and turning me on to the Stebro exhaust. I think I'm going to like it a lot.

ddb

Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #29
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Well, I spent a part of the day driving my car for the first time since installing the Stebro Sport exhaust. I really didn't realize what my car was missing (sound) until I desnorked about a month or so ago. Hearing the more pronounced intake noise piqued my interest in a more aggressive exhaust note.

The car now starts with an aggressive, slightly angry growl that was totally missing before. It really sets an audible tone to go along with all of the other benefits that come with driving such a great car.

In my opinion the exhaust is most boisterous right off of idle after starting in first gear. It is honestly louder than I expected, and oh so addictive. I probably drove around for an hour and a half today and never turned on the radio, which has never happened before. I've often read where people say why upgrade the stereo when you can just listen to the engine. I can now understand where they are coming from with the aftermarket exhaust.

It's fun to listen to the deep growl change to a howl as the RPM's rise. When you finally get to a cruising speed and the RPM'S settle to a rather constant speed the exhaust tone mellows to level that is definitely louder and different than stock. Is it offensive? I would say no, at least not after one day of driving. This may change after a 12 hour trip or after more weeks/months behind the wheel.

I did some highway cruising today and the sound really quiets down with the cruise control on and not much load on the engine. When I would bump the cruise up by hitting the stalk once or twice you can really hear an instant change in the exhaust note. This would also happen whenever reaching an uphill grade and the cruise would adjust to maintain a constant speed.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Chris_Craft thinks about his Sport system after switching from GHL. I know I've saved weight with this exhaaust, and hope there are some other benefits like a cooler running engine, etc. My main reason however was for sound, and so far, goal accomplished!

ddb
Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #30

Is your car tiptronic ddb?

I was out bid yesterday on the no reserve auction for the stebro race exhaust. And by less than $6. I even used auction sniper. My max bid was $601.23 and it went at $606.

I'm thinking I'll just make an offer, the price of that auction.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #31

I should have mine finished up today. We had some fun with the muffler off...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zKLxJCe7XU
Old 10-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #32
boggtown

Put some headers on and run without a muffler and it sounds 100 times better. Thats what I do. I still need to put my valves back on.... but no time...
Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #33
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
yellowboxster01,

My car is a manual.

I think they will accept your offer in a second. You have nothing to lose.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the race exhaust + bypass pipes.

ddb
Old 10-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #34
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Chris Craft,

That clip is funny! Thanks for posting it.

I thought about starting mine with the exhaust off. I guess I was so focused on the install I didn't get around to doing so.

ddb
Old 10-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Craft
I should have mine finished up today. We had some fun with the muffler off...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zKLxJCe7XU
"That's too loud daddy", "no don't do that". haha that's cute.

Workin on the Porsche with dad, awesome. You're raising a future enthusiast!

Post a video when you get that Stebro on.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #36

The Stebro is a nice muffler. It is what i was looking for sound wise. Remember, i had a GHL on prior and the droan was unbearable...for me anyways. ddb's decription of the sound below is right on. I am really impressed at how quiet it is on the highway.

I did expect a bit better quality. My tips don't seem to be level to each other and the welds on the inside of the tips are not identical. Plus i didn't get any stebro decals. I will post pics to show you what i mean.

I also need to center the tips better but i'm not sure how i can do that.

Here's a quick video clip.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:07 AM   #37
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
No offense, but it looks like those mufflers were made from 2 leftover Midas muffler cans hastily welded together. Are you sure the cans themselves are stainless steel? If not, they will end up rusting, no? I think the GHL muffler looks way better quality, but like you said, they resonate too much. Glad to hear the Stebro's sound quality works out better.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Chris Craft,

My tips aligned just like yours on my first attempt. They aren't perfect now but I was able to get them much better.

I loosened all of the clamps plus the fasteners that attach to the vertical mounts and then basically positioned the tips in the desired position. I used folded cardboard to help maintain clearance between the top of the tips and the relief in the bumper cover. I then proceeded to tighten the clamps and fasteners while applying force to the exhaust to lock it in position.

I was able to do this by myself, but it would be a lot easier with a second set of hands to help position and hold the exhaust.

I drove the car to work yesterday and was fascinated even more by the sound. Despite the fitment issues I'm glad I went with the Stebro Sport system.

ddb
Old 11-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #39

I just installed the Stebro Race system. This thing is freakin' awesome! Theres resonance at 2500-3000, but it's bearable. Quality is good, and sound is the best I've heard. Worth every penny.
D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #40

I have to agree that the system in the film clip sounds excellent. However, I simply can't understand how the company can justify the selling price. I'm well aware of the whole "Porsche tax" concept, but there honesty doesn't appear to be much in the way of materials or fabrication that would make these systems worth more than say, $400 or so.

There is no substitute.

Last edited by Padawan; 11-08-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote