Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2004, 08:31 AM   #1
Forum Member

Air Intake Snorkel

I have a Porsche 2002 Boxster S. I would like to remove the snorkel from my air intake. How do I go about removing the grill and snorkel, then re-attaching the grill?

My grill is set far back into the car. I have seen some web sites where the clips on the grill is close to the outside edge where mine is not. Is this the same on my car?

Patrick :-D

ANiceGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #2

I'd like someone to post a step by step process that I can use on my 1997 to do the same thing.

One question though. Will doing this change the way the onboard computer calculates the air/fuel mixture and mess something up?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:10 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
are there HP gains or just cool-noise gains? both?

i have a 2000 S
Old 07-25-2004, 04:03 AM   #4

All you need to know is on boxa.net. Sorry but you need to register to see it. http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9132
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
based on your information, tool pants, i think i will pass

if it ain't broke....
Old 07-25-2004, 07:56 PM   #6

Tool-Pants, I joined up on boxa.net and did a search for snorkel info. Found some stuff, but like usual it is for the older style pre-2003 boxsters. I have a 2003 box S and my grill is different than pre-03's. If you could direct me to a link that could give me specific desnorkel directions for an 03-04 that would be terrific. Also, does it really make a good noticable difference in intake sound? Not one of those" yeah, I think I can hear a difference" type mods.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:52 AM   #7

After reading this article, Jeff, I don't think I'm going to fiddle with my snorkel.

If other readers of this thread have not yet read the excellent back and forth discussion on the other forum, you should sign up as Jeff mentioned and read it so you can make an intelligent decision for yourself.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Jeff!
Old 08-01-2004, 01:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
Tool-Pants, I joined up on boxa.net and did a search for snorkel info. Found some stuff, but like usual it is for the older style pre-2003 boxsters. I have a 2003 box S and my grill is different than pre-03's. If you could direct me to a link that could give me specific desnorkel directions for an 03-04 that would be terrific. Also, does it really make a good noticable difference in intake sound? Not one of those" yeah, I think I can hear a difference" type mods.
Has anyone desnorked their 03-04 boxsters???? I would maybe like to give it a shot but it seems all the directions on the net are for pre-03 cars. Any help would be appreciated.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #9

Ok, so what's the bottom line here on desnorkling? I'd love to gain a couple HP and some more sound. Opinions are all over the place. Oh yeah, mine is a 97.
scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:55 AM   #10

HP gain? A couple (1 or 2?) is all you'd get, but toolpants can tell you with more clarity. He knows far more than I, but this is what I've seen as the max it provides.

More Sound is the primary reason for doing it.

Downside is that it really leaves your car vulnerable to water entry into the engine from a poorly placed hose during handwashing, or a solid splash from another car when their tires hit a puddle of water and send a wave to the driver's side of your car.

I have a 97 as well, and decided not to do it just because the downside of getting water in your intake far outweights the added sound.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #11

Ok, sounds like a bad idea. Last night I took the engine cover off for the first time, and the access is very tight. Frankly, the less I have to work on it the better. So, I took the air filter out and removed the foam. The sound is definately improved, and with no flat spot problems or potential for water intrusion. I'm pretty happy with the power of my 2.5 L. I hope it stays that way.
scubaguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:31 AM   #12
b0xt0La

Recently a member had major engine failure due to desnorkiling. He went thru a car wash and water got inside the engine. http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1471
Alienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #13

I actually posted that story, and have been in contact with him about it. He did not de-snorkle, sorry.

But, by bad design either carwashing or intake he did get water into the engine.

I will say this, I de-snorked approximately six months ago, have been through the rain and have even... K&N'ed woooooo... about seven months ago.

Have had no ill side affects, except for the beautiful sound of my motor. Man it is like night and day sound affect.

I am not saying to go out and do it, but my tail of the pants Dyno and another guy who actually dyno'ed showed HP improvement.

This is my experience and many others who have gone to the cone filter and there variants.

When you "upgrade" your intake you will lose your snorkle and end up with a cone filter in the area of the snorkle.

Maybe if some people who have upgraded there intakes, would chime in with there water stories or non water stories, it may dispel some of the urban myth that this tragic occurence will happen everytime.

I know I am going against the grain on this one with some people, but I mean no disrespect, it's just another point of view.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:04 AM   #14

Scott, I have a concern that I'd love you and anyone else who knows to give me input.

If I upgrade to a K&N intake, will I screw up my MAF sensor? I just can't afford to replace a $750 sensor right now, but the K&N is reasonable and I'd love to do it.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:18 AM   #15

That's cool, I just wanted to give you a little info from the "far side".

BTW- the MAF will cost you about a third of the price you stated when and if you have to replace it.

Scott
Old 09-27-2004, 01:57 PM   #16
porsche986

i bought a k@n filter from ebay but after reading posts on some message boards about screwing maffs up i decided not to, although i do want a more grunty sound.

I love my boxster but am considering selling it and getting a 996 cab or ferrari 355 spider however there are many replicas of the 355 and i dont wanna spend so much cash for someone to say oh look at him in his ferrari replica... its a little sad ferrari let them make bodykits and spoil the pleasure of owning such a great car......

maybe they should take advise from porsche and there tight legal team
Old 09-27-2004, 07:12 PM   #17

You better stop reading my mind, man and on the other side of the pond.

I will probably be doing the same, unless I can figure a way to drive both at once.

993/996 C4 Cab..

final destination 996TT or GT2...

Scott
Old 09-28-2004, 03:59 AM   #18
Forum Member

Hi All,

I have desnorkeled after watching the debate for a week. The sound is awesome and best of all it's free, which is the right price for me! One side effect I have noticed is the fuel economy is much much worse now, but that's because the best air intake sound comes at 5,000 rpm and then changes note again around 6,000 rpm and I keep down changing to hear the note....it sounds extra cool in a tunnel.
Aussie Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:19 AM   #19
porsche986

sound great...

hey mickymouse good minds think alike lol
Old 01-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #20

went to desnorkel this last week and found the previous owner had already done it! Oh well, so much for making my sound better than it was for cheap!