Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #1

Unhappy 2002 boxster just .......died!

Hey guys, I am new to this site so please bear with me. I have a question, I was rear ended 8 month ago by a stupid cow while I was sitting at a red light. She had NO insurance and I have no uninsured motorist (great huh?) After the accident the car was still running fine, then about 2 weeks later I was driving it and it just died while I was driving in 2nd gear and now I am unable to get it restarted. The engine does not turn over (but it tries), I placed a brand new starter in it and "Nuthing"! I have checked the spark plugs, battery and made sure that it is getting gas, still nothing. I am at my wits end trying to figure this out, short of spending a couple hundred bucks I don't have, to tow it to a mechanic and let them screw me over for another few hundred, does ANYONE have an idea as to what I can do or check? I am thinking of just scrapping the car. I spent every penny I have to get this car and I could really use some help from a decent person. There are still people that like to help others out there....., aren't there?

rebs_horsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #2

Man, tough break. You are in the right place for help with your car. Unfortunetly, I do not think I can be of too much service other than to tell you to hang tight, and you will get it sorted out. The boxster will still get a decent penny without an engine. Many people look to scoop them up and put a larger engine in.

One question, pull the dipstick, do you have oil? Any oil in the driveway at night before the break?
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #3

Once a few more people chime in I'm sure we'll be able to help you out.

What happened to the cow that hit you? Did she goto jail? Send her ass to jail for real.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #4

It's hard to say what happened but let's start with the basic stuff.... have you checked all the fuses? Do any of the warning lights come on when the ignition key is on?
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
boxsterz

Check the car with a Durametric, or PSII. There are too many electronics in these cars troubleshooting the old school way. It will help you narrow down your searching considerably.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
How far is Corona from Sacramento? I'd drive over to try and help you out if I could.

This is a long shot,but you might want to replace the ignition switch,it's only $15 and causes a lot of electrical related problems.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #7

I agree with boxsterz, have the ECM read and it will probably lead you in the right direction. Otherwise you are just completely in the dark. Autozone will read the ECM for free or you could invest in a generic one as they are not too expensive.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote