Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
How slowly should a good OEM strut compress?

I have a question. Say i have a strut already out of a non-S boxster and im not sure how old they are, If they are in good working condition, Should they be firm and slow moving when i try to press the rod back into the strut? Assuming there is no spring on it anymore of course...

How many seconds should it take for the rod to bottom out if I leaned on it with all my weight (About 200lbs)?

Also, how quick should the Rod retract back out the strut?

Reason I am asking is because I will be replacing my old struts soon and I havent a clue weather not they've been replaced and when I remove them, i want to try an inspect the bound and rebound of the shock so I judge weather they still had life in them or if they are totally worn out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #2

Sorry, you're not going to gain any useful information about how worn your struts are by pushing on them.

I've had good struts feel pretty weird, and bad struts that felt fine with this "test." Save your energy.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
Sorry, you're not going to gain any useful information about how worn your struts are by pushing on them.

I've had good struts feel pretty weird, and bad struts that felt fine with this "test." Save your energy.
Well, you can get useful information, but you need a machine like an Instron load cell that's going to measure speed and force to do it. And then you'll need to know what the curves should look like.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Ah, hmmm, well if i find a shop with a Instron load cell, it probably wouldnt do me any good unless i have the knowledge of what the curves SHOULD look like. Oh well, Thanks for your help, I think Im just going to assume my struts are worn in my 111k Boxster and assume they are the originals, I do here a slight gasp from the drivers side rear strut when I roll over wide dips in the hwy.

Thanks guys.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #5

At 111k, they're well beyond due for replacement.

Brand-new struts make fluid and gas noises when going over bumps, that is completely normal.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #6

At over 100K miles, you might consider replacing BOTH shocks and springs. springs will sag eventually. Shocks will wear out. Create a new baseline and replace both. Or, if you have the money, now would be a convenient time to upgrade shocks/springs since you are already tearing the car apart. mmm.. spending other peoples money
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:19 PM   #7

Go for the adjustable coilovers now Carlos!
That's our next step (or fall down the slippery slope)

Take care,

Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote