Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #1

Is it just me??

It happened again today!! I go to the store and search around for the one parking spot where I know my car will be safe. I'm go in the store for no more then 15 freak'in minutes and when I come out there's a mini van right next to my Box... and it's parked crooked. The back end of the van is about a foot away from my rear bumper. I swear this happens so often. I drive me f#*'ing nuts.
Do people do this to piss off the Porsche owner because they're jealous or something? I feel like it's just total disrespect. They have to know I parked far away from everyone for a reason. I just don't get it. :troll:

Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #2

That stinks but at the same time the same driver parks the same way next to my truck, car and probably everyone else's vehicles. I for one will never shy away from parking next to a nice car simply because sometimes I just need a parking spot regardless of how inconvenient it may look. I will also admit that sometimes I don't park perfectly straight between the lines with equal distance on each side. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying that the world doesn't revolve around our cars despite the significance of these vehicles to us.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i got a solution for you man since you obviously parked far away from everyone else, and theres a lot of space next to you.
dont park perfectly in between the lines, but park 1/3 in one spot, and other 2/3 in the other spot. that way no matter how messed up they park, they ill be far from your car, or just park so that the lne is in themiddle of your car
problem solved.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #4

Did you ever think the guy was tired of people denting his van so he parked next to you figuring it was safer? Jeez

Seriously.. get over it. You own a Boxster. One of 200,000+ built... Sure its yours and its "special"... just like the one of over 200,000+ built minivans/ wagons, pick ups that will park next to you.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i got a solution for you man since you obviously parked far away from everyone else, and theres a lot of space next to you.
dont park perfectly in between the lines, but park 1/3 in one spot, and other 2/3 in the other spot. that way no matter how messed up they park, they ill be far from your car, or just park so that the lne is in themiddle of your car
problem solved.

I would never recommend parking in two spaces...now your asking for trouble.

I always look for end-spots...hug the curb to keep as far away from the only car that could park next to you...on the right-side if possible...the thought process here is that the next car is most likely not going to have a passanger...least chance of a door-ding.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
problem solved.
That's just asking to get keyed.

I don't bother trying to find an open spot in an empty section of the lot if it's close to the store at all. I just go for the furthest spot I can next to a curb on the passenger's side of the car. Not one ding.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #7

I do what bmussati does. It seems the best of all solutions
Old 05-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:

I always look for end-spots...hug the curb to keep as far away from the only car that could park next to you...on the right-side if possible...the thought process here is that the next car is most likely not going to have a passanger...least chance of a door-ding.

I do the same and some jerk still manages to park 1 foot away from my car and the biggest jerks are the ones who think other cars are there for them to lean their shopping carts against and leave them there for you to bring it back.

This has nothing to do with cars or jealousy, some people just don't respect others, and don't give a sh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!t about you or your property.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual

Last edited by Franco; 05-29-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:13 PM   #9

End spots are your friend..

do NOT take up 2 spots, thats just asking for it.
Most people are just clueless

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Quote:

This has nothing to do with cars or jeoulosy, some people just don't respect others, and don't give a sh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!t about you or your property.
It's about where you live as well. I haven't run into much hate where I live. There is the occasional ricer/high-schooler that wants to race, but many days go by without incident. I park it in normal spots, sometimes with the top down, and have had no issues at all.

I would never have thought that SC would be more accepting than, say, CA, Chicago, and NY. Who woulda thunk it?
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Shot for end-spots if you can,if not then oh well. Not much you can do,just drive the damn thing and get them over with so you won't worry about them anymore.

I was walking out to the Boxster after I left the gym once and this old couple,Grandpa opening the driver door,which was where my passenger side was,he put a ************************ door ding in it resting his door on my passenger door.........I continue walking to my car looking at him,he looks at me almost as if he was saying "oh well", continued to get in his car and leave,all this time just standing next to my car thinking what I should do............DO NOTHING,door dings cost around $50-75 to get removed. It's not going to be worth the thought and time you put into argueing with someone who has no respect for your car.

For those who get door dings and what them removed via Paintless Dent Removal;

http://www.dentnetwork.com/index.html

My personal expierence with PDR has been very good not great,only because they remove around 95% of the dent,I can still see a tiny trace in the right light at the right angle.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't think it has anything to do with having a porsche, but it has to do with the fact that majority of drivers are really bad drivers, were do you live, a major city.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I don't think it has anything to do with having a Porsche, but it has to do with the fact that majority of drivers are really bad drivers, were do you live, a major city.
Rick is correct, There are so many high end cars in the my area (NYC/NJ) they really just blend in with each other. The average Coffee drinking, cell phone talking soccer mom in her minivan or gigantic SUV does not make the distinction between dinging your pride and joy Porsche or someones "average" car
Thats just life, we try and protect what is ours but at the end of the day you have to just try and drive your car and enjoy it, If it gets a ding.. well you get it fixed and move on.
It took me many years of Porsche ownership to mellow out about these things and yes.. I still get the RAGE over it sometimes.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #14

Parking Nice Cars

Been driving nice cars for a while now. Currently live near and work at a college. Have lived in a few big and small cities including Honolulu where the biggest parking space is a compact spot in the mainland. A few of my do's and don'ts.

1. Always try to park at an end space with your passenger side door to the end/curb. Pull over close to the end. So if there is a passenger he has plenty of room.

2. Never take more than one spot or park crooked. In many places, even if the lot is empty, you are asking for it.

3. Movie theater lots are the worst. Too many people that don't care. Ideally take your beater. If not, NEVER park near the back of the lot. Try to get an end spot near the front/middle of the lot. (USAA reports movie theater lots are where most vandalism/break-ins occur.)

4. If you go to a college or take mass transportation, spring for the parking pass, do not park on the street in a nice residential area to "protect your car" or save a dime. First it is illegal in many/most locations (towns write ordanaces designating these spaces for residents or their guests.) Second it POs the residents so ... don't be surprised when some one spits on your car or worse ... may not be right but it does happen -- have heard of a few cases of Coke on the hood/trunk. If you are lucky you may just get towed. Finally, do not be surprised when the owner mows his grass and the clippings are all over your car. I know the passes are expensive but ... you are driving a Porsche.

5. Do not pull up too far into the space. Leave at least six to eight inches from the line.

6. If a car has a baby seat, never park on the side of the car with the baby seat. It is next to impossible to put those little critters in the seat without opening the doors wide plus the baby strollers are the worst.

7. Do not park next to the shopping cart bin at walmart or a grocery store. However, if you are too far away folks tend to leave the carts vice walk 100 feet so ... ideally bring your beater. Moral, the cart bin does not make an end spot.

8. If there are no great end spots, park next to a nice car ideally a four door (coupes have longer doors). Some SUVs have high doors, etc.

Finally, Paintless Dent Remoal works well. Get it done as soon as possible from a reputable guy (dent wizard guys are pretty good IMHO.) Some are better than others and dents near creases in the body work are the hardest to fix. If the guy is good, it will cost about $75 for a small ding (about 2" X 2" max) and more for a larger ding. I like the mobile guys so I can watch the repair. If he is heating up the area (not required in the hot summer sun) and using lights (even in the sun) to check the repair, you will get a better repair. Some of these guys are amazing. If you find a good one ... tip him and take some cards for your friends. The good guys will appreciate it and "hook you up" in the future. (Note: Some have bumper, paint chip, and wheel repair associated with them all of which are pretty good to have available.)

Does this always work? Of course not there are inconsiderate people everywhere and some are real idiots. Was driving to Kings Bay GA last week and stopped for lunch, found a great end spot in the shade parked to the right of the spot. While I was eating some idiot parked a big SUV mobile so close I could not get in my car -- his wheels were actually in my spot. Went back into the restaurant and got the guy. He wanted to be in the shade too. Luckily he did not have a passenger -- oh well.

Just my dime.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #15
boggtown

Did you ever consider she just cant park. Have you see the episode of the office where she drives everyone and they all freak out. Dont be too quick to judge... but yes, I pretty much park either way the hell out in no mans land, or the front spot.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #16

if I have no choice but to park between cars I don't pull all the way into the spot.
Since the Boxster is not a big car I can pull in 3/4's of the way so that the passenger doors of the cars next to me are next to my front fenders and my my doors....because If I came out the store and saw a big dent in my door I would immediately fall to the floor and start going into convulsions.

MidAmerica Motorworks sells magnetic parking door guards for the Boxster and 911. A good idea to keep those in the car for those type of situations.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trube78
Been driving nice cars for a while now. Currently live near and work at a college. Have lived in a few big and small cities including Honolulu where the biggest parking space is a compact spot in the mainland. A few of my do's and don'ts.

1. Always try to park at an end space with your passenger side door to the end/curb. Pull over close to the end. So if there is a passenger he has plenty of room.

2. Never take more than one spot or park crooked. In many places, even if the lot is empty, you are asking for it.

3. Movie theater lots are the worst. Too many people that don't care. Ideally take your beater. If not, NEVER park near the back of the lot. Try to get an end spot near the front/middle of the lot. (USAA reports movie theater lots are where most vandalism/break-ins occur.)

4. If you go to a college or take mass transportation, spring for the parking pass, do not park on the street in a nice residential area to "protect your car" or save a dime. First it is illegal in many/most locations (towns write ordanaces designating these spaces for residents or their guests.) Second it POs the residents so ... don't be surprised when some one spits on your car or worse ... may not be right but it does happen -- have heard of a few cases of Coke on the hood/trunk. If you are lucky you may just get towed. Finally, do not be surprised when the owner mows his grass and the clippings are all over your car. I know the passes are expensive but ... you are driving a Porsche.

5. Do not pull up too far into the space. Leave at least six to eight inches from the line.

6. If a car has a baby seat, never park on the side of the car with the baby seat. It is next to impossible to put those little critters in the seat without opening the doors wide plus the baby strollers are the worst.

7. Do not park next to the shopping cart bin at walmart or a grocery store. However, if you are too far away folks tend to leave the carts vice walk 100 feet so ... ideally bring your beater. Moral, the cart bin does not make an end spot.

8. If there are no great end spots, park next to a nice car ideally a four door (coupes have longer doors). Some SUVs have high doors, etc.

Finally, Paintless Dent Remoal works well. Get it done as soon as possible from a reputable guy (dent wizard guys are pretty good IMHO.) Some are better than others and dents near creases in the body work are the hardest to fix. If the guy is good, it will cost about $75 for a small ding (about 2" X 2" max) and more for a larger ding. I like the mobile guys so I can watch the repair. If he is heating up the area (not required in the hot summer sun) and using lights (even in the sun) to check the repair, you will get a better repair. Some of these guys are amazing. If you find a good one ... tip him and take some cards for your friends. The good guys will appreciate it and "hook you up" in the future. (Note: Some have bumper, paint chip, and wheel repair associated with them all of which are pretty good to have available.)

Does this always work? Of course not there are inconsiderate people everywhere and some are real idiots. Was driving to Kings Bay GA last week and stopped for lunch, found a great end spot in the shade parked to the right of the spot. While I was eating some idiot parked a big SUV mobile so close I could not get in my car -- his wheels were actually in my spot. Went back into the restaurant and got the guy. He wanted to be in the shade too. Luckily he did not have a passenger -- oh well.

Just my dime.
ATB,
Tom
Thanks Tom,
Those are some good tips. I like #6 and # 8, something I never considered before. I do take my beater car most of the time, although my beater car is a new Saab so I'm careful with that one as well. I always park in the spots out and away from everyone, but the reson why i wrote this is because these people park right next to me when I'm in an isolated spot. It drives me nuts...and they're not nice cars. I don't understand how somone with an average car goes out of their way to park right next to the shinny Porsche. Maybe they think my car's lonely and needs a friend or something. heh heh.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM   #18

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the great tips and comments. Glad no one yelled at me for accidentialy posting this on the "Performance Talk" board instead of the general Discussion.

Coupe.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Did you ever think the guy was tired of people denting his van so he parked next to you figuring it was safer? Jeez

Seriously.. get over it. You own a Boxster. One of 200,000+ built... Sure its yours and its "special"... just like the one of over 200,000+ built minivans/ wagons, pick ups that will park next to you.
Good point. I have done that. I will park next to a car that is nicer than mine figuring that driver won't want to dent his/her car anymore than mine.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Those are some good tips, I try to park in the back of the lot, I don't mind walking. The problem is school parking lots and teenagers that suck at driving, means dented cars.

rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote