Thread: Is it just me??
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #14
trube78

Parking Nice Cars

Been driving nice cars for a while now. Currently live near and work at a college. Have lived in a few big and small cities including Honolulu where the biggest parking space is a compact spot in the mainland. A few of my do's and don'ts.

1. Always try to park at an end space with your passenger side door to the end/curb. Pull over close to the end. So if there is a passenger he has plenty of room.

2. Never take more than one spot or park crooked. In many places, even if the lot is empty, you are asking for it.

3. Movie theater lots are the worst. Too many people that don't care. Ideally take your beater. If not, NEVER park near the back of the lot. Try to get an end spot near the front/middle of the lot. (USAA reports movie theater lots are where most vandalism/break-ins occur.)

4. If you go to a college or take mass transportation, spring for the parking pass, do not park on the street in a nice residential area to "protect your car" or save a dime. First it is illegal in many/most locations (towns write ordanaces designating these spaces for residents or their guests.) Second it POs the residents so ... don't be surprised when some one spits on your car or worse ... may not be right but it does happen -- have heard of a few cases of Coke on the hood/trunk. If you are lucky you may just get towed. Finally, do not be surprised when the owner mows his grass and the clippings are all over your car. I know the passes are expensive but ... you are driving a Porsche.

5. Do not pull up too far into the space. Leave at least six to eight inches from the line.

6. If a car has a baby seat, never park on the side of the car with the baby seat. It is next to impossible to put those little critters in the seat without opening the doors wide plus the baby strollers are the worst.

7. Do not park next to the shopping cart bin at walmart or a grocery store. However, if you are too far away folks tend to leave the carts vice walk 100 feet so ... ideally bring your beater. Moral, the cart bin does not make an end spot.

8. If there are no great end spots, park next to a nice car ideally a four door (coupes have longer doors). Some SUVs have high doors, etc.

Finally, Paintless Dent Remoal works well. Get it done as soon as possible from a reputable guy (dent wizard guys are pretty good IMHO.) Some are better than others and dents near creases in the body work are the hardest to fix. If the guy is good, it will cost about $75 for a small ding (about 2" X 2" max) and more for a larger ding. I like the mobile guys so I can watch the repair. If he is heating up the area (not required in the hot summer sun) and using lights (even in the sun) to check the repair, you will get a better repair. Some of these guys are amazing. If you find a good one ... tip him and take some cards for your friends. The good guys will appreciate it and "hook you up" in the future. (Note: Some have bumper, paint chip, and wheel repair associated with them all of which are pretty good to have available.)

Does this always work? Of course not there are inconsiderate people everywhere and some are real idiots. Was driving to Kings Bay GA last week and stopped for lunch, found a great end spot in the shade parked to the right of the spot. While I was eating some idiot parked a big SUV mobile so close I could not get in my car -- his wheels were actually in my spot. Went back into the restaurant and got the guy. He wanted to be in the shade too. Luckily he did not have a passenger -- oh well.

Just my dime.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote