Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #1

fittment of coilovers

Hello,
I have a 2002 S. New 18 deep dish rims required 7mm spacers to clear the springs front and rear. It clears the springs by no lie 2mm.

I want the upgrade the shocks to a lower more sport rather than a race shock.
I also want it easily adjustable so I can go from track to street without a huge hassle.
Now, here is the question,
With my rim situation as it is, is the way to go new springs or complete coilover change. I do not want to get bigger spacers....
Does anyone know if the new springs or new coilover smaller or bigger than OEM?
What brand should I go with? eibach, HR, generic no name?
Thanks for any help,
James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 05-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #2

Well, if you go coilovers you will gain inner clearance, and may possibly be able to use less spacer to clear, it all depends on where there is tight clearance currently.

There really is no such thing as a one size fits all suspension. The closest I can think of, and what I am going to do on my 02 S, is do the ROW M030.

The real problem that I have with adjustable, coilover setups, is that most of us dont know enough to adjust it properly. When you do factory M030, you are getting Porsche's factory tuned sport suspension, which is probably 90% as good as say PSS9s, at half the cost, and that 90% assumes you have your PSS9s setup perfectly, which most of us wouldnt. If you are a competitive racer and have a team tuning your car, Motons of Ohlins are amazing. To those of us who drive on the street and track the car here and there, I think M030 is an amazing compromise, and as stated, comes setup so theres nothing to try to tweak.

Just my $.02

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #3

The clearence issue is at the inner rim lip at top dead center. It was rubbing on the spring. With the 7 MM spacers, it clears the springs by 2mm. Very close. So I dont want to spend the money and buy the spings, coilovers, or the ROW setup, have it installed, and then find out I need new rims.
The next size spacer is 14mm and I dont want to use that much of a spacer.

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #4

If the close clearance is at the wheel to stock spring, a coil-over type suspension should give you a good bit extra clearance there, and you may even be able to remove the spacers entirely. If all else stays the same, you should have considerable extra clearance on the inside now.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote