Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #1

Radio Fade

Hello Again,

I recently purchased a 1998 Boxster with all the goodies & extras. One of the extras was the 10 disk CD changer. I have a question about the changer / control unit.

The units themselves work great! But when I forward to the next song the stereo / CD player fades the song in - thus I miss 1 or 2 seconds of the beginning of the song - almost as if the volume is turned up. I would really like to hear the whole song...

I have read the owners manual inside and out trying to solve the problem - even checking into the volume control with no luck.

Once again... if there is anybody out there who can help out...

Thanks much!

Greg

GDietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:13 PM   #2

Porsche did not offer a 10 disc changer. Becker and Sony did. Do you have a picture.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:01 AM   #3

I made a mistake - it's the 6 disc changer. I drank too much cough syrup when I wrote the last posting.

Anywho, the problem still exists. Whenever I change CDs or forward/ reverse to another song it fades in instead of just playing. Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:07 PM   #4

It has been said there is a soft start on the radio cd player where you miss a second or two of the intro, so you do not get blasted with sound. I do not remember if this applies to the changer, but I suspect so.

I have the 210 radio with the single cd player and the Becker/Porsche 6 disc cd changer in the trunk. I do not notice this "soft start" on my music cds, but what I listen to does not start out loud.

I think the fade in feature is normal.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:43 AM   #5

Hey TP,

You really seem to know your stuff! Now... is there a way to turn that fade option off or is this a factory default? If so... Bad Porsche!

G
Old 06-08-2004, 06:42 AM   #6

I do not know of any way to turn it off. This subject was covered on the old Becker board a few years ago. You might want to check the old board and see if there is any info.

http://www.beckerautosound.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html