Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2022, 05:31 AM   #41

Any updates?

Old 01-21-2022, 06:15 AM   #42
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Any updates?
Just getting back to work on the Fiero now. In late November, I admitted to myself that my garage was so full of crap that I couldn't work in there anymore. I needed less stuff and not more space. I spent about a month sorting through junk and not junk, did a couple scrap runs and trash runs. I got rid of a couple 'future projects'. I finally have floor space and can find my tools again.

It was bad:

It is still evolving, but working on better habits and improving every day:

The Fiero is getting a full transplant. I got a wrecked Buick Rendezvous ($300 Copart bid) with a good 3.5L LX9 engine. Stock it has about 200 hp and leaves room in the budget for my nitrous system for the drag race in the GRM $2,000 Challenge.

I plan to put the LX9 in the car next week for an initial fitting. Not a popular swap, but it has been done before a few times. For now I'm staying with the auto transmission and ECU from the Buick.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:28 PM   #43
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
...and the Fiero 'race car' is sitting waiting for me to choose a path to get the wider Buick transmission to work in the Fiero: Longer control arms, shorter shafts, fabricated cradle, or use the Fiero transmission? I think I'm going to do longer control arms with the Fiero cradle.

Meanwhile I fixed a few issues with the CR-V and travelled the icy roads to do the 'Texas Carnado 2022'. I really enjoy the Gambler 500 events; fun people and a wide range of cars from complete junk that has no business on the road, to a few high $$$ off-road rigs. The CR-V was totaled twice in the past, but I still feel like I'm cheating taking it to these 'Rallys'.

Last edited by 78F350; 02-09-2022 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added video
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote