Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,801
Garage
Old 356 on a trailer

Taking the long way home from work a few days ago, I saw a rusty old car on a trailer. There were actually two and they were Porsche 356s.


I realized that they must belong to 'Hack', my son's wife's grandfather. We had only met a few times and when he talked about his old Porsches, I thought they were all gone. When I got home, I found the card with his phone number and gave him a call to see if he had time to show them to me. Today we met up and I helped him put new covers over them.
Cool old cars. They are in very rough shape now and were rough when he bought them. He sold several over the years, but still holds onto these two. They are not for sale. For now he is just trying to preserve what is left of them.





Maybe later this summer I can help him clean them up and see what can be done with them. One guy on the Grassroots Motorsports forum suggested that we take the worst one and "chop everything off of [my] least favorite Boxster and have it wear that body as a hat." That could be a fun project. I'm not sure Hack would approve ...but he was eyeing the Boxster that I drove over for the visit.

__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,472
Cool cars! Always love the fact that during an era where everything was chrome, Porsche used body colored bumpers.

Hopefully you get to help Hack get these running. Waiting until 'you have some time' can be a lost cause (ask the previous owner of my 928, but you can't).
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:45 AM   #3
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,255
Gotta love the ol' boys with their ol' toys.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
Racer Boy
 
Racer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 922
It's a shame to let them rot away! Surely there is someone that would love to restore them.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,801
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
It's a shame to let them rot away! Surely there is someone that would love to restore them.
I agree and Hack does not want them to rot away, but it's important to him to still have one. I'm trying to help him find a way to move forward with them without over-stepping. It's complicated. ...and who knows where I'll be in 20 years with my pile of Boxsters and moldy boxes of parts in a shed.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 73
Honestly my dream car is a barn find 356. I'd take the silver one with the peeling paint, correct the wheels, make her run, and just drive.......

Last edited by 2ata; 06-12-2020 at 10:54 AM.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #7
Who's askin'?
 
maytag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ata View Post
Honestly my dream car is a barn find 356. I'd take the silver one with the peeling paint, correct the wheels, make her run, and just drive.......
yup. that'd be the COOLEST.... EVER.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 645
Garage
Road Scholars.... if he is serious and has the coin.... Cool cars.
__________________
"YouTube Certified in Various Specialties"
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,580
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Taking the long way home from work a few days ago, I saw a rusty old car on a trailer. There were actually two and they were Porsche 356s.


I realized that they must belong to 'Hack', my son's wife's grandfather. We had only met a few times and when he talked about his old Porsches, I thought they were all gone. When I got home, I found the card with his phone number and gave him a call to see if he had time to show them to me. Today we met up and I helped him put new covers over them.
Cool old cars. They are in very rough shape now and were rough when he bought them. He sold several over the years, but still holds onto these two. They are not for sale. For now he is just trying to preserve what is left of them.





Maybe later this summer I can help him clean them up and see what can be done with them. One guy on the Grassroots Motorsports forum suggested that we take the worst one and "chop everything off of [my] least favorite Boxster and have it wear that body as a hat." That could be a fun project. I'm not sure Hack would approve ...but he was eyeing the Boxster that I drove over for the visit.
The 356's are worth good money regardless of condition, there is a shop in Long Beach CA that restores them exclusively.
__________________
OE engine rebuilt,3.6 litre LN Engineering billet sleeves,triple row IMSB,LN rods. Deep sump oil pan with DT40 oil.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,801
Garage
I connected him with a guy who knows these cars well and buys them. They talked for over an hour and may work a deal on some of Hack's stuff. Meanwhile I was exposed to a patient who tested positive for COVID-19, so I'm not heading back for another visit for a couple weeks.

__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.

Last edited by 78F350; 06-22-2020 at 10:44 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page