Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Who's askin'?

Any home theater gurus here?

I need help choosing a peice of equipment.

Many years ago, I installed a surround system in the backyard. We use it for our "redneck theater" during the summer (projecting movies 12' wide on the garage) and to listen to music when we're playing or cooking or working back there.

The head unit is an older JVC amp / tuner that has worked fine, but is showing its age.

I'd like to replace it with something modern, that:
1. I can connect via bluetooth for media streaming, at least audio, but video would be a bonus too.
2. I'd like AM/FM.
3. Needs HDMI in and out. RCA composite isn't absolutely necessary, but would be a plus so some of my older equipment could be accommodated.
4. Needs a solid surround decoder, with center and sub channels too.
5. Needs at least 3 inputs: digital tv, roku, dvd player.
6. Something that'd be WICKED cool, but by no means necessary, would be android- application controllable, for functions like volume, source, etc.

Any body immersed in this world, that could guide me a bit?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 03-31-2020 at 05:42 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Lots of "multimedia" receivers available at BestBuy
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I need help choosing a peice of equipment.

Many years ago, I installed a surround system in the backyard. We use it for our "redneck theater" during the summer (projecting movies 12' wide on the garage) and to listen to music when we're playing or cooking or working back there.

The head unit is an older JVC amp / tuner that has worked fine, but is showing its age.

I'd like to replace it with something modern, that:
1. I can connect via bluetooth for media streaming, at least audio, but video would be a bonus too.
2. I'd like AM/FM.
3. Needs HDMI in and out. RCA composite isn't absolutely necessary, but would be a plus so some of my older equipment could be accommodated.
4. Needs a solid surround decoder, with center and sub channels too.
5. Needs at least 3 inputs: digital tv, roku, dvd player.
6. Something that'd be WICKED cool, but by no means necessary, would be android- application controllable, for functions like volume, source, etc.

Any body immersed in this world, that could guide me a bit?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
It's been 10 years since I've bought my Yamaha RXV-667 receiver but it's working like a champ since. It has everything you need for your application besides bluetooth, but they make wireless bluetooth audio adapters thats plugs into the remote port via auxiliary cable. I bought it new for 600-700$ can't remember exactly the price, but I see it available now for a few hundred used, and refurbished 300-400$

Haven't been in the scene for a while, but I'm sure it's standard that they make bluetooth built into the newer receivers. hope this helps
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

This the unit I'm running:

Sony Premium Home Entertainment - STR-ZA3000ES

Awesome. No BT, but I don't miss it.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Accessories4less

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

I purchased my Denon Receiver from them several years ago and had no issues. They are an official denon outlet along with other brands. Highly recommended by AV Rant podcast without sponsorship.

Several entry level receivers there for around $200.

I know some Denon's can be controlled via a smartphone if they are on your home network but I would recommend looking into a logitech harmony hub as you could hide all the electronics inside and the hub would address everything via your phone or a remote (I use this to hide my home theater in a closet).

Hope this helps some.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #6

I can vouch for Accessories4Less. I really thought it was a troll/scam site, but a colleague of mine had purchased A/V equipment at some great deals over the years. I ended up getting a top-of-the-line Onkyo receiver for $250. Only caveat was that it was a refurbished unit (i.e. returned less than 14 days.) Although it did fail four years later, it was a known manufacturing problem, and Onkyo did good and replaced it for me at no cost.

I've since purchased a few other receivers from them (currently a Denon) and a Harmon-Kardon in the past. Do some digging too because your local electronics store may likely wheel and deal. Most current-market receivers can be controlled via smartphone, so keep an eye out for that. I don't have enough experience on outdoor equipment, or what your intended setup/physical constraints are like, so if weather is a factor, you may want to keep that in mind. If you want to drop some serious coin, consider a Sonos setup, or Yamaha's wireless setup for starters. If money is no object, well then...

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-11-2020 at 09:19 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

+1

What they said is correct and solid advice.

Accessories 4 less is THE outlet for us home theater geeks. The AV Rant podcast is also on you tube and you can watch their back catalog for solid info.

I have a Yamaha receiver and it is great, Denon is probably the “gold standard” these days for AV receivers.

The latest top line versions of the Denon and Yamaha receivers can all Bluetooth and WiFi connect to your phone and allow streaming from your mobile device.

Yamaha has their own line of wireless speakers that their receivers can stream through.

Also, “Sonos” offers a popular line of “lifestyle” wireless speakers than might work as an alternative depending on how hard core you want your surround system to be.

If true surround sound is not necessary, you can also buy something like the “SVS” wireless speakers and subwoofer that can give you a great stereo setup that you just stream music to from your phone.

The “AV Forum” is also a great resource online.

FWIW, I am running a Yamaha Aventage RX-A3070 with a 5.2.4 Atmos system. I have Emotiva tower fronts and their center channel, SVS Prime Elevation speakers for surrounds, Emotiva ceiling bounce speakers for the four Atmos channels, and two SVS PB-3000 subwoofers.

It’s a killer system, but a similar system can be built for much less money and provide great results.

Spend a few hours on the “AV Forum” and also there is a fantastic “AVForums” podcast that is on Spotify, iTunes podcasts, and on You Tube that is basically four old Scottish guys who review AV gear talking about gear and it is awesome.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Also...

...The “AV Rant” podcast answers all questions about home theater. That’s what they do.

Email your questions to them at question@avrant.com and they will answer next week.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #9

I have good luck with Yamaha they have receivers at pretty much any price point. I have Yamaha RX-V683BL for my family room and looking at Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A780 for the media room. Each are Alexa capable and integrate with various streaming services.

I have been really happy with the RX-V683BL and may end up changing my mind on the A780.
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

From your OP,
BT will only stream audio. You can easily add BT to any receiver (~$25) if you find a receiver you like that doesn't have BT.

If you go to harmon audio, they have refurbished receivers at great prices.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #11

I'm running a Yamaha RXA1060 in my theater room. It's 7.2 so meets more than your needs plus BT, Yamaha "musicast", stream, network, great integration w/ Control4 and other automation systems and also app controllable. Serves as my HDMI switcher for my theater room's dedicated system w/ DVD, cable, Apple TV, etc. though 7.2, I'm running as 5.1 w/ 12" sub, three IW 80 fronts and two IW 65 surround in a ~ 350sf room. There is oodles of power to spare...

Can't go wrong w/ Yamaha and likely some good deals popping up v soon on older models as CES ended just before the SHTF w/ this C-19 pandemic w/ new models rolling in.

Good luck
Old 04-15-2020, 01:45 AM   #12

If buying new keep an eye on slickdeals.net or woot.com for deals like this:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13971794-onkyo-tx-nr686-7-2-channel-4k-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-250-free-shipping?src=frontpage

Per prior posts you can easily ad BT audio via a Logitech unit like the one I have on my garage system:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-Streaming-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B016NUTG5K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3CG2CRBMCUAMM&dchild=1&keywords=logitech+bluetooth+audio+adapter&qid=1586942240&sprefix=logitech+bluetooth%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-4

Personally I prefer buying used higher end stuff at a deep discount versus the brand new feature laden units with stuff I will never use, got a NAD 773 off of ebay a couple of months back for $205 delivered, it sounds 1000% better than the Sony that it replaced.

Last edited by coreseller; 04-15-2020 at 01:52 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #13

Highly resolving speakers at reasonble prices are available from ELAC, KEF, B&W & Paradigm, to name a few. Those companies also have much more expensive speakers. The ELAC Debut v.2 speakers are especially good for the price, have great imaging and are highly resolving.

Last edited by klasstaffan; 03-14-2021 at 06:00 AM.
klasstaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 01:37 AM   #14

follow this video
Old 05-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
1998 Boxster Owner

I have a Noob AV question - I recently upgraded all of my HDMI cables to plan for upgrading my television since we picked up a PS5, and also just due for newer TV. I have an older Sony speaker bar and the HDMI ports all run through the subwoofer. Acts as the HDMI switcher. I wanted to know if it will degrade my HDMI signal since it is an older subwoofer or does it just act as a passthrough?

I don't want to change/upgrade my existing set up since the my primary HDMI cable is fished through the wall. Having access to all my HDMI devices via the subwoofer is convenient.

Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote