Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Who's askin'?

The nameless thread.....

This thread has one, singular purpose:
randomness and ease of "bumping", with the simple goal of making sure the political threads aren't the first thing at the top of the "new posts" list every time I come to the forum.

and here's a picture..... just for fun.

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

haha.... I can dig

my coffee table.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
NewUserName

I have a great story.
1968 - Along the DMZ in Vietnam. In the Marines in a 4-man post on guard duty. 2 men stay awake half the night, then wake up the other 2 and the first 2 sleep. Paired off with some guy I didn't know, and probably wouldn't see again, but had been on lots of guard duty, so knew the drill. You want to talk to stay awake, but no talk of women, because there aint no women, and he'll probably talk about his girlfriend,.... No talk about food, because there aint no food, and you just get hungry....No politics, no religion,... Meanwhile I look and the sky was awesome - you could clearly see the Milky way - so I said - "Wow. Look at all those stars" - harmless. right? And this guy answers "Yeah, and Jus Dink - Dats all light from Da sun"...
I froze. I closed my eyes and said to myself Please, Please let there be a smile on his face - but I looked over and he's just staring blankly. I asked what he meant (the actual quote was 'WTF are you TALKING about?')- he said "Well, da Moon. Da Moon aint got no light of its own, it's light reflected from da sun" I go, well yeah, but I'm not talking about the moon, I'm talking about stars - you know, the sun is a star, only it is so much closer...
This guy tells me I'm wrong, and I get out of him that he believes that the sun is the sole source of light in the entire universe and everything we see is reflected light. I tried to reason and explain, but he wouldn't budge. I told him it was sad that the ancient Egyptians knew more than he did, and he accused me of cursing at him ( had no idea what Egyptians were). I asked him where he was from, because I never, ever wanted to visit there... I gave serious thought to the fact that I could well be screwed that if we were attacked, and my life depended on him reacting properly, I would probably be dead.
I stayed up all night...

Last edited by DoninDel; 01-04-2020 at 03:54 PM.
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
I have a great story.
1968 - Along the DMZ in Vietnam. In the Marines in a 4-man post on guard duty. 2 men stay awake half the night, then wake up the other 2 and the first 2 sleep. Paired off with some guy I didn't know, and probably wouldn't see again, but had been on lots of guard duty, so knew the drill. You want to talk to stay awake, but no talk of women, because there aint no women, and he'll probably talk about his girlfriend,.... No talk about food, because there aint no food, and you just get hungry....No politics, no religion,... Meanwhile I look and the sky was awesome - you could clearly see the Milky way - so I said - "Wow. Look at all those stars" - harmless. right? And this guy answers "Yeah, and Jus Dink - Dats all light from Da sun"...
I froze. I closed my eyes and said to myself Please, Please let there be a smile on his face - but I looked over and he's just staring blankly. I asked what he meant (the actual quote was 'WTF are you TALKING about?')- he said "Well, da Moon. Da Moon aint got no light of its own, it's light reflected from da sun" I go, well yeah, but I'm not talking about the moon, I'm talking about stars - you know, the sun is a star, only it is so much closer...
This guy tells me I'm wrong, and I get out of him that he believes that the sun is the sole source of light in the entire universe and everything we see is reflected light. I tried to reason and explain, but he wouldn't budge. I told him it was sad that the ancient Egyptians knew more than he did, and he accused me of cursing at him ( had no idea what Egyptians were). I asked him where he was from, because I never, ever wanted to visit there... I gave serious thought to the fact that I could well be screwed that if we were attacked, and my life depended on him reacting properly, I would probably be dead.
I stayed up all night...
Oh, c'mon man..... where was he FROM?
Haha
Great story.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

Just finished putting in a rollbar in my Cayman, rollbar in yesterday and today modifying 4 trim pieces to account for the rollbar, and then fitting it all back in. Hope I never have to do that again :,-)

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
This thread has one, singular purpose:
randomness and ease of "bumping", with the simple goal of making sure the political threads aren't the first thing at the top of the "new posts" list every time I come to the forum.

and here's a picture..... just for fun.

Reminds me of my wife's old Miata. Before I got my truck we had a flatbed trailer I pulled with her car.

^^^ there is a trailer under all the hurricane debris.

Sports cars are very underrated as towing vehicles.

Think about it. They have larger brakes, generally speaking higher output engine, and they are rear wheel drive. The only thing they are really missing is weight, but if you load a trailer right that's not so much an issue.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:48 PM   #7

Old 01-05-2020, 03:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
I have a great story.
I stayed up all night...
Wow! It goes to show that when you have a draft you get all the best! I bet he also believed that the Universe is 3000 years old!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:02 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Had a little chat with this Runaway last year at January's NAMM. Anyone going this year?

20190125_155611.jpeg
Old 01-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #10

Garage
Had some fun playing with the new gopro on my early morning drive/dog walk today. The stabilization on the Hero8 is damn good, almost too good. Now I need to learn how to edit video.

Here's a few snapshots.

GLImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
NewUserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Wow! It goes to show that when you have a draft you get all the best! I bet he also believed that the Universe is 3000 years old!
Well, the Marines was historically all volunteer - they did draft some during 'Nam.

Ready for another?
EVERYBODY had a 'crutch' to get by in Vietnam. One guy was super-religious, reading a bible every chance he got. Lots drank every chance they got. Some took pills - uppers, downers, even some took LSD. Some 'shot up' - I even knew one corpsman who would shoot the guys up so they had clean needles - but, I would say that most of us smoked Pot. Sometimes it was hard to get, but every time somebody made it to a rear area, we got resupplied. I knew one guy would break off branches, dry the stuff and smoke it - damn near killed himself a couple of times... but I digress - on to the story.

They had 'observation towers' made out of 4 pressure-treated telephone poles in a rectangle with a 'hut' on the top made of heavy planks and sandbags covering the sides of the hut. They were set back a bit from the front lines and primarily used at night. To the story - one afternoon, a bunch of us - maybe 6 - were smoking up in one, getting wasted, just chilling. One guy got up, announced he had to pee, and forgot we were about 20 feet up, and just stepped out of the doorway. We heard a Yaaaaaaaaaaaa that seemed to go on for a long time - then silence. We all rushed down the ladder. Guy was flat on his back gulping for air (had knocked the wind out of him) eyes closed, faced contorted. We stood silently around him, staring, worried. Slowly his breathing became more normal, his face less contorted, and eventually, he calmed and opened his eyes. He looked all around at us staring at him and then said "WOW!". He was fine. Instead of being glad, all of us started kicking him and cursing him - "You stupid f@ck! - you gave us a headache! What a bummer!"
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Just finished putting in a rollbar in my Cayman, rollbar in yesterday and today modifying 4 trim pieces to account for the rollbar, and then fitting it all back in. Hope I never have to do that again :,-)

Very Impressive!!! I've installed 2 roll bars and luckily had help on both, they were both convertibles, could not imagine dealing with those tight confines.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #13
Damn Yankee

Garage
Any audiophiles out there?
Here's my current reclamation/restoration project sitting on my workbench.
Props to anyone who can name the manufacturer and model designation.
Major props to anyone who can identify the revision and manufacture date (circa).
Just wonderin'...………
TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #14

Garage
Is it made by Tandberg? Looks similar to one I owned and sold in 1977.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #15
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Is it made by Tandberg?
Strike one.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #16

Easy - Revox A77.

I'm more of a Tascam guy, myself.
Dave80GTSi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:16 PM   #17
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Easy - Revox A77.
Give the man a cigar! Any guesses as to the revision and date?

TO
Old 01-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Give the man a cigar! Any guesses as to the revision and date?

TO
Naw, I never got too much into Revox stuff, twiddling instead with the Teac / Tascam family gear.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #19
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post
Naw, I never got too much into Revox stuff, twiddling instead with the Teac / Tascam family gear.
So what's in your pile?

TO
Old 01-13-2020, 04:33 AM   #20

Actually, I've gotten away from most of my old reel gear. I'm now down to only a couple of decks left - a Pioneer 1020 10-1/2" quarter track and a Tascam 22-2 7" half track.