Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Tesla - Is Elon losing it?

The quick story:

With Tesla already $8B in debt, investors didn't like hearing that the company lost another $700M in Q1.

Elon told investors that if they didn't like it, they didn't have to buy the stock.

So, some investors dropped the stock and the company lost $2B in market value overnight.

Not a big deal for a company that is so highly valued; but without additional investment, Tesla will face a serious cash crunch. This is the real takeaway.

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/tesla-slumps-after-musk-advises-don-t-buy-our-stock-in-bizarre-conference-call-14577801

https://www.thestreet.com/opinion/three-glaring-mistakes-tesla-ceo-made-during-his-wacky-earnings-call-14577743

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:24 AM   #2

I hope they do well but have my doubts about their financial situation. Elon may lose control of Tesla but I think the car company will live on in some form or another. They have come too far to not.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

This is what happens when you date Amber Heard. He should've paid attention to what happened to Johnny Depp......

He may have waited too long before dumping her....
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not against what Telsa is trying to do with electric cars, but funding your current operations with pre-sales of promised future products that are almost always delayed sounds a whole lot like a Ponzi scheme to me. Their is no law against what they are doing, but I wouldn't invest my money with them. I have a seen few stories of it taking 3-6 months to get the "refundable" Model 3 preorder back because Tesla has no cash.

Telsa investors are making the bet that Elon Musk will be able to mass producing electric cars, and that the cool factor of a Tesla will support premium prices. This is all while BMW, Volvo, Porsche, Ford, Toyota, etc are all beginning to get into electric cars and know how to execute and deliver on time at the promised price point.

Tesla has the cool factor, but so far they have shown absolutely no evidence they can mass produce a car on time or on budget. I think Elon needs to focus more on execution and less on launching cars into space.

Just my $0.02.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

I’m far from an expert but I think Tesla is in the power storage business and not the car business. I think the cars are merely a consumer of batteries where the real market is. Tesla autos could be the beaut parade to be off loaded to one of the big car guys and Tesla maintain the battery business and grow it further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2003 Boxster S, Seal Grey
Traco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Vaporware.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."

Last edited by 10/10ths; 05-03-2018 at 07:45 PM.
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #7

Garage
After two delays for a model 3, I purchased a 2004 Boxster S and got my deposit money back - Only took a week to 10 days.
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:53 AM   #8

Garage
Someone as already the hole Tesla system copied for sure... So it a matter of time.
They'r gonna miss the boat if they dont put there s..t together ... that would be a shame
Claudeaube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #9

Garage
I sat in. A model x, it was pretty cool.

Regardless there is a good quote about Tesla from Matthias Müller, ex Porsche ceo now VAG ceo.

“Now I really need to say a few words about Tesla: With all due respect, there are some world champions of big announcements in this world – I don’t want to name names. There are companies that barely sell 80,000 cars a year. Then there are companies like Volkswagen that sell 11 million cars this year, and produce a profit of 13 or 14 billion euro. If I am correctly informed, Tesla each quarter destroys millions of dollars in the three digits, and it willy-nilly fires its workers. Social responsibility? Please. We should not get carried away and compare apples with oranges”

I agree fully.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
WALDMEISTER

Garage
The brand name and being first in the e-market is priceless. The rest are just e-mobility followers and adaptors. Those might look cooler, drive better, be cheaper...but no one will remember their names. As soon as Tesla gets their production lines working as intended...there will be hope.