Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Daughter tried a U-turn over a curb...

My youngest daughter (adult), tried to cut over a curbed median in her lowered VW New Beetle. It didn't go well. After the terrible bump and crunch, she kept driving. "Don't worry dad, I didn't drive it long. It stopped running about a minute after the oil light came on." ...I was speechless.

The base of the pan was still attached on one edge, but peeled right off for inspection:

I trailered it home. Figured there's nothing to lose cranking it for a moment. It is not seized, sounded smooth. I expect it won't last long if it runs, but an oil pan and gasket is under $50. Ordered one and said she can borrow my tools.

Last edited by 78F350; 08-31-2017 at 05:48 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #2

Sorry to hear. My daughter totaled my wife"s Beetle a month after attending a teen performance driving school were one of the things they taught was the risk of following too closely. She totaled the car by rear ending someone. My wife was pretty pissed off. Thankfully no one was hurt.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #3

Always amazes me how brainless teenage drivers are.....
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:58 AM   #4

Check the suspension and links while at it also?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #5

Ouch! What motor? Heck, used beetle's are so dirt cheap that it might be easier buying a new(used) one instead of replacing a motor?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
My youngest daughter (adult), tried to cut over a curbed median in her lowered VW New Beetle. It didn't go well. After the terrible bump and crunch, she kept driving. "Don't worry dad, I didn't drive it long. It stopped running about a minute after the oil light came on." ...I was speechless.

The base of the pan was still attached on one edge, but peeled right off for inspection:

I trailered it home. Figured there's nothing to lose cranking it for a moment. It is not seized, sounded smooth. I expect it won't last long if it runs, but an oil pan and gasket is under $50. Ordered one and said she can borrow my tools.
If there is serious damage, check your insurance policy; many times, damage like this is covered under regular collision damage.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Check the suspension and links while at it also?
They looked okay, but what I am going to do for her if it runs again, is take the lowering kit out and put it back to a stock ride.
Love the pic, I imagine that's about how it looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Ouch! What motor? Heck, used beetle's are so dirt cheap that it might be easier buying a new(used) one instead of replacing a motor?
It is a 2.0 with the 5-speed. These Beetles come up on Craigslist all the time with a bad automatic transmission or other issues, plus the wrecked ones on copart. A few parts from this to another or vice versa will be a fairly cheap solution if the engine is toast. Last three months all my 'garage time' has been on my kid's cars. I'd rather be working on my own projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If there is serious damage, check your insurance policy; many times, damage like this is covered under regular collision damage.
I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that she just had liability. That would be great if it's covered and something for her to think about in the future.

Thanks all.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #8

I'd go diesel if you can. Those things can get insane fuel mileage.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #9

Unfortunately it's not just the teenagers that can be idiot drivers.
I'm one of them.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:19 AM   #10

You're a good dad. No one got hurt. Our best learning experiences sometimes come from our biggest failures. Experience is a real ********************, she usually gives the test before she gives the lesson.

Happy Labor Day weekend!
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #11

Is she doing this often?! What's up with the towing co kit By Porsche as well... crazy stuff

hrrr kids sometimes lollll Good dad, respect man
Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

Garage
I managed to pick up a parts car for a couple hundred $$. A quick check shows it has a good 2.0 engine with a bad fuel pump. I love the flames, too bad they are weathered. She swapped out a window regulator tinted windows and door panels today and has it ready for the new pan and oil pickup tube, which arrive tomorrow. I'm going to clean up and store the parts car engine, just in case.

Daughters car is called "Stink Bug" we'll call this one "Fire Bug".

Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 AM   #13
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I used to love my New Beetles. We had three in total, a 2000 2.0L 5-speed (mom's, then mine), a 2003 TDI 5-speed (mom's), and a 2005 1.8T 5-speed convertible (mine). Biggest complaint I have with them, now, is how fragile the interior plastics get as they age. And the eBay resellers wanting insane money for those parts.

Wouldn't mind having a '98 or '99 if I could find one mint-condition and bone stock.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #14

I'm part redneck. Bring her down to Texas and I'll paint some flames on her. Circa 1999 picture
Old 09-08-2017, 06:27 AM   #15

Supposedly the hot car for Chumpcar and Lemons is an older New Beetle with the Turbo and convertible top, they remove the soft top, saves a lot of weight, and makes it easier to install the roll cage. I think Grassroots Motorsports is building one.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #16

Garage
I must have been one of the last stops for UPS today. The parts finally arrived around 6:00 pm. By 8:30 my daughter had driven her car home, all bolts properly torqued, and the engine sounding 'good' with it's unmuffled resonator drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
...Biggest complaint I have with them, now, is how fragile the interior plastics get as they age. And the eBay resellers wanting insane money for those parts.
That was one of the best things about the parts car, it had both door panels already refurbished. It's impossible to find them in decent shape in the junk yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
... Bring her down to Texas and I'll paint some flames on her. Circa 1999 picture
You should do some 'ghost flames' on the 911!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Supposedly the hot car for Chumpcar and Lemons is an older New Beetle...
Lemons & Chumpcar look like a lot of fun. Someday...
As my daughter worked on her Bug, I started looking at an A4 that I got cheap at the same auction as the parts car. It may be repairable enough.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:38 AM   #17
B6T

I was going to say that you should look for an Audi TT 225hp Quattro parts car.

That would have made one hell of a Beetle.

The Beetle and TT are the same platform, but going Quattro would require some cutting and welding.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B6T View Post
I was going to say that you should look for an Audi TT 225hp Quattro parts car.

That would have made one hell of a Beetle.

The Beetle and TT are the same platform, but going Quattro would require some cutting and welding.
Some??

How about just about the entire back half of the car.

That986 is offline   Reply With Quote