Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2023, 11:26 AM   #1

Question Old, Tall, and Gimpy

I first fell in love with the styling of a 586 Porsche my freshman year. I can still remember when I saw one for the first time. It pulled beside me into the left turn lane at a city intersection, glistened in the glow of the street lights, turned and drove out of my life, but not my memory. I'm now an old, retired university professor with a half-century-old desire. I'm as close as I have ever been to buying a Porsche and I think I want a 2003-2004 Boxster S. Here are my issues, and I'd be grateful for any wisdom from y'all: I am 6'3" and weigh about 200 lbs. I have some mobility issues from a gimpy left leg. The problem isn't severe, but I do have some foot drop and I do walk with a cane. I have lower back issues (which are the cause of my gimpyness), not so much pain, but stiffness and discomfort, especially after a long drive. Will I fit well behind the wheel? Will my legs be much constrained? Will the seat support my back? Will my hair rub on the headliner? Will those (and any other issues) keep me from the joy I hope driving that car will bring me?

craigkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:00 PM   #2

You can answer some of your questions easily—you just need to go out and look at some (while, of course, sitting in them as well). Used Boxster aren't all that hard to find.

I'm close to 6'1" (also around 200 lb) and am amazed at how much leg room I've got. I don't even have the driver's seat all the way back. My head doesn't touch the headliner, but you're taller so I can't say in your case. And, I too have some mild to moderate lower back issues. I use a small pillow on my seat for lumbar support and that seems to suffice for me. My Box is an '01; some of the more recent models may have lumbar support built in, I just don't know. Someone else can chime in on that.

I don't know if you're leaning towards a manual or an 'automatic' (what they call Tiptronic in these cars). With a 'gimpy' left leg, you may want to go with the Tip. But if you love manuals, you should definitely drive one of them and see how it feels. Only you can answer that question.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:45 PM   #3

I have always had a problem with my left and right. And so, I misspoke. It is actually my right leg that is gimpy. I think I can manage a clutch pretty well. My gimpy right leg does okay driving an automatic transmission. I hit the brake on time and accelerate as called for.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:18 PM   #4

I'm 6'2" and 175. Your head will not touch the top or even be close. Think once you get in it's actually pretty comfortable and you can stretch out. It's more a "cockpit" than the inside of a car.
The "in" & especially getting "out" might make you look around to see if anyone is looking, haha.

Im not sure what another 25lbs does but the older Boxsters (I have a 2002) are true analog sports cars and once you are motoring its about the handling and pleasure of being one with the road.
Newer while incredible automobiles takes some of the feel away from you with technology. Sports luxury cars.

I can't or should I say don't like driving with my wallet in my back pocket if that makes any sense.
Patience in finding your Box.
stagewex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:42 PM   #5

That's good to hear. Thank you. I will!
Old 04-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #6

Craig, I think that a lot of bigger guys who have trouble with smaller cars (lotus Elise, for example) fit quite comfortable in the 986. Leg room on the right can be a bit of a constraint for some, but a center console delete will quickly remedy this.

Btw, with foot drop on the right, you may have a harder time with the manual. I wouldn't call it prohibitive by any means, but some of the finer aspects of shifting (heel-toe, throttle feathering, etc) may be quite difficult. I would definitely drive one before you buy to see how it feels for you - at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tags
headroom , joy , legroom , lower back comfort , retired