Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

Garage
New Member New owner

Hello I just purchased a 2001 Boxster 3.2 the mileage is 90k plus I do not think it has had any service other than occasional oil change now and then in the past 5 years. The muffler has been removed to make it sound "cool" Yes it is getting a new exhaust system, But it will not idle. The car starts fine tries to idle then you hear a click similar to a relay and the car dies like it ran out of fuel. This all happens in about 5 or 10 seconds after starting I have recalibrated the idle circuit. And have not pulled any codes yet. I plan on replacing the fuel filter and spark plugs. Once you start the car and feather the throttle it is possible to keep it running and even drive the car seems as long as you keep it above 2500 rpm you can keep it running. Looking for suggestions on where to start.

Thanks

Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
Hello I just purchased a 2001 Boxster 3.2 the mileage is 90k plus I do not think it has had any service other than occasional oil change now and then in the past 5 years. The muffler has been removed to make it sound "cool" Yes it is getting a new exhaust system, But it will not idle. The car starts fine tries to idle then you hear a click similar to a relay and the car dies like it ran out of fuel. This all happens in about 5 or 10 seconds after starting I have recalibrated the idle circuit. And have not pulled any codes yet. I plan on replacing the fuel filter and spark plugs. Once you start the car and feather the throttle it is possible to keep it running and even drive the car seems as long as you keep it above 2500 rpm you can keep it running. Looking for suggestions on where to start.

Thanks
Can you tell where the click sound is coming from????
Cabin?
Engine bay?
Rear trunk??
Any chance the click is the air conditioning clutch kicking in????
Turn your climate control system completely off. Then try starting the car and see it it will run with the climate control off.

What shape is the battery in??
What shape is the alternator in?

You could start with changing the #1 and#2 relays.
#1 is the DME/ECU relay
#2 is the the fuel injector ignition coil relay

They are around $12.00-$15.00 at any auto parts place.
They are a common relay.

Pull any codes it may have in memory
List them here

Try the things I listed above
Let us know results

Last edited by blue62; 08-05-2021 at 05:29 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

Garage
The click does sound like it is coming from the passenger side engine bay. The battery is stamped 5/19 and seems to hold charge and turn the car over good. I have noticed a black wire from a loom under the air filter that looks to be cut. Looks to be about 18 gauge I can not find the other end and I am wondering if this could be a ground? I am going to try and get out to the garage this weekend and work on it I will let you know.

Thanks for your help

Jeff
Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
The click does sound like it is coming from the passenger side engine bay. The battery is stamped 5/19 and seems to hold charge and turn the car over good. I have noticed a black wire from a loom under the air filter that looks to be cut. Looks to be about 18 gauge I can not find the other end and I am wondering if this could be a ground? I am going to try and get out to the garage this weekend and work on it I will let you know.

Thanks for your help

Jeff
So the alternator is on the passenger side of the engine bay.
Just behind the passenger seat.

This is just a total guess on my part.
The clicking you hear and then the car dying could be due to a faulty diode in the alternator.
Or faulty internal voltage regulator.
You could remove it and have it bench tested.
Hard to test on the car if the car will not stay running.
Let me know what you find.
Always interested in results

As for the black wire. you need to know what it is to.
don't assume it is ground. You never know tell you know for sure.

Last edited by blue62; 08-06-2021 at 09:22 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote