Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 07:03 AM   #1

Auto Trans Issues.

Hey guy, thanks for the ad. I'm having an issue with my 2001 S with tiptronic. Three weeks ago I had the IMS & RMS replaced by the dealership. I haven't had much time to drive it since getting it back. Yesterday, I ran a couple of short errands with it. Everything was fine until I got home. I put the car in park and turned it off, but something didn't feel right, there was no resistance on the shifter when putting it in park. I slowly let off the brake and the car started rolling backwards. I can't even start it up because the light on the dash thinks the car is in drive. Could the linkage somehow slipped off? Did the dealership make an error? And help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Djski442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #2
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djski442 View Post
Hey guy, thanks for the ad. I'm having an issue with my 2001 S with tiptronic. Three weeks ago I had the IMS & RMS replaced by the dealership. I haven't had much time to drive it since getting it back. Yesterday, I ran a couple of short errands with it. Everything was fine until I got home. I put the car in park and turned it off, but something didn't feel right, there was no resistance on the shifter when putting it in park. I slowly let off the brake and the car started rolling backwards. I can't even start it up because the light on the dash thinks the car is in drive. Could the linkage somehow slipped off? Did the dealership make an error? And help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Simple rule is when something goes wrong it is likely associated with the last thing done. The dealer had to remove the trans to get at the IMS and RMS. So logic dictates something was not reassembled correctly. Have it flat bedded back to the dealer (at their expense) and get them to correct it.

As an aside I had my IMS, RMS and clutch done 2 years ago. Driving it after was fine but then it wouldn't go into the 3 or 5 gear. Turns out the reassemble of the linkage by the indie shop was not 100%. Luckily I could drive there and the shop fixed it ASAP. Hasn't been a problem since.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote