Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 11:18 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Newbie getting 1st Boxster, would like buying advice.

Hi everyone, I've been on the board a few weeks reading posts and learning about the Boxster. There's quite a bit of info here. Also, everyone seems very cool; not just Porsche owners, you're Porsche enthusiasts.

So I plan on buying my first Porsche in the next month. I want to get a 2003 Boxster S. I have a couple of questions I hope you all might be able to offer some advice.

1. I'm in Naperville, IL (Chicago suburb) and I was wondering are there dealers you could recommend in the area?

2. I've looked on eBay and have seen some really good deals. I'm just not sure about buying a car on eBay. I've bought a motorcycle from a dealer on eBay and the transaction was smooth as silk. I can get more for my money there and I'd like to get thoughts on this course of action. What do you think about buying from eBay?

Thanks in advance.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #2

Chills,

Welcome. I am in Lake in the Hills, work in Hoffman Estates.

I bought my Boxster 5 months ago, and I love it !

For service, I would recommend Joe Rizza in Orland Park.

For sales, I would NOT recommend Luxury Motors.

I bought mine at Chicago Motor Cars and was very pleased :

http://chicago-motor-cars.ebizautos.com/

I would not recommend ebay.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #3

If you cannot drive it personally and take it to a dealership or certified Porsche technician for a pre purchase inspection (PPI), don't buy it.

A PPI will set you back a couple of hundred bucks, but it's well worth it considering the first trip to the shop will cost that if something crops up you would have found in an inspection.

If you can afford a certified pre owned Porsche bought from a dealer with a nice long extended warranty on it, do it. You will not regret it and the peace of mind it brings is wonderful I hear...

I bought an old boxster with no warranty and I sure wish I had bought a much younger one with low mileage and an extended factory warranty. These cars can get expensive to maintain.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll check out those places you suggested.

So let me ask you why you recommend to steer clear of eBay? The dealers I'm looking at have been in business for quite a few years. They have between 200 and 1000 positive feedbacks. I've read the feedbacks and everyone is very happy with the cars they bought. Cars like Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and such. I would definately be buying a warranty wherever I get a car because I am familiar with how expensive Porsche's can be to maintain.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills

So let me ask you why you recommend to steer clear of eBay? The dealers I'm looking at have been in business for quite a few years. They have between 200 and 1000 positive feedbacks. I've read the feedbacks and everyone is very happy with the cars they bought. Cars like Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and such. I would definately be buying a warranty wherever I get a car because I am familiar with how expensive Porsche's can be to maintain.
I think Randall stated it best, "If you cannot drive it personally and take it to a dealership or certified Porsche technician for a pre purchase inspection (PPI), don't buy it." That pretty much precludes Ebay unless it's local in which case it's probably for sale in the classifieds anyway.

There is a world of difference between what someone on Ebay considers perfect and what most Porsche owners consider perfect. I saw a really nice '99 C4 online. Looked great and advertised as great. When I saw it and drove it in person I couldn't believe the condition of the paint - to me it was horrible with tons of swirls visible. To me that killed the deal - particularly since my Boxster is a '99, has no swirls, no scuffs, no dings, and I named all 4 rock chips.

Don't even get me started on the whole Hurricane Katrina thing with totaled cars being sold with faked VINs....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I think Randall stated it best, "If you cannot drive it personally and take it to a dealership or certified Porsche technician for a pre purchase inspection (PPI), don't buy it." That pretty much precludes Ebay unless it's local in which case it's probably for sale in the classifieds anyway.

There is a world of difference between what someone on Ebay considers perfect and what most Porsche owners consider perfect. I saw a really nice '99 C4 online. Looked great and advertised as great. When I saw it and drove it in person I couldn't believe the condition of the paint - to me it was horrible with tons of swirls visible. To me that killed the deal - particularly since my Boxster is a '99, has no swirls, no scuffs, no dings, and I named all 4 rock chips.

Don't even get me started on the whole Hurricane Katrina thing with totaled cars being sold with faked VINs....

Yeah, those are good points. I'm convinced... no eBay for me. I'll check local dealers. If I were out $100 for a cellphone on eBay I'd be annoyed. If I were out $31k for a Porsche I'd be livid. For what I'm about to buy it's better to be safe.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills

Chills,

Also check out http://www.carsourceusa.com/

My friend picked up his 2002 C4S there and I was really impressed with them.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #8

Just finished an "Ebay" transaction. Found the car on Ebay but dealed outside through escrow.com, the ebay recommended company. Overall, my experience was very positive, although the cost for escrow.com's services $400 was a bit high, they do perform an inspection and transfer title. The mechanic they sent out for me was a ex porsche mechanic (coincidence?), and did a great job on the inspection, although I am sure its not a PPI.

So dont be so quick to knock eBay purchases. Its ussually their finanacial arm PayPal thats out to screw people. Just dont go through paypal and you should be fine.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
Just finished an "Ebay" transaction. Found the car on Ebay but dealed outside through escrow.com, the ebay recommended company. Overall, my experience was very positive, although the cost for escrow.com's services $400 was a bit high, they do perform an inspection and transfer title. The mechanic they sent out for me was a ex porsche mechanic (coincidence?), and did a great job on the inspection, although I am sure its not a PPI.

So dont be so quick to knock eBay purchases. Its ussually their finanacial arm PayPal thats out to screw people. Just dont go through paypal and you should be fine.

Very interesting. So have you received the car and was it everything advertised? Also, who was the seller of the car? How much feedback...etc? I was about to give up on eBay but am re-thinking it now.

Forgive my ignorance, but why did you go through escrow.com? If I were to buy from a dealer via eBay my plan was to have my finance company send the money to the seller and not deal with it at all. Is this the wrong way to go about it?

Old 09-27-2006, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Chills,

Also check out http://www.carsourceusa.com/

My friend picked up his 2002 C4S there and I was really impressed with them.

Nick

Thanks, Nick. I'll check them out as well.