View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
denverpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll check out those places you suggested.

So let me ask you why you recommend to steer clear of eBay? The dealers I'm looking at have been in business for quite a few years. They have between 200 and 1000 positive feedbacks. I've read the feedbacks and everyone is very happy with the cars they bought. Cars like Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and such. I would definately be buying a warranty wherever I get a car because I am familiar with how expensive Porsche's can be to maintain.
I think Randall stated it best, "If you cannot drive it personally and take it to a dealership or certified Porsche technician for a pre purchase inspection (PPI), don't buy it." That pretty much precludes Ebay unless it's local in which case it's probably for sale in the classifieds anyway.

There is a world of difference between what someone on Ebay considers perfect and what most Porsche owners consider perfect. I saw a really nice '99 C4 online. Looked great and advertised as great. When I saw it and drove it in person I couldn't believe the condition of the paint - to me it was horrible with tons of swirls visible. To me that killed the deal - particularly since my Boxster is a '99, has no swirls, no scuffs, no dings, and I named all 4 rock chips.

Don't even get me started on the whole Hurricane Katrina thing with totaled cars being sold with faked VINs....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote