Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

New member, not quite an owner

Sort of a premature introduction, I joined the site with the anticipation of purchasing a Boxster. I have been eyeing one for years, finally entering a period in my life where I can afford a ‘fun’ car. I used to own a 914 (’73 1.7L) when I was in high school, close to 30 years ago. It was a blast and kept me in the poor house. My wife and I drove a 02 Boxster S a couple weekends ago I haven’t stopped smiling. I will say I can put myself into the category of IMS concerns, maintenance expense anxiety, etc. etc. But man, it was so much fun. I’m hoping to do some of the maintenance myself, I’m able to change oil, plugs and brakes. We have put our search on hold until the Spring so we can save some money. I’m thinking of 2006-2009, under 70k miles, manual and I’m not sure I care about a S or base. I have read the ‘thinking of buying a Boxster’ thread, a couple times, and trying to make sense of the information.

I do have a question regarding the PPI. I can see doing that when buying from a private buyer but do dealers allow for this inspection? Whether I was buying from a dealer or a private buyer I would intended taking it to a third-party garage for the inspection. Also, are there standard items I would have to mention for the PPI or is the process standard?

So hopefully in a few months I can respond with some pictures of a purchase!

gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome!

Any reputable seller, including dealers, should let you take the care for a PPI. Don't trust dealers with 500+ point inspections, get your own inspection. In terms of what is standard, if you take to a Porsche shop they should know what to check. There are no guarantees, but they should be able to catch any obvious warnings signs. I would add that I consider maintenance history to be one of the most valuable parts of a PPI if you can find a car with service receipts.

Here's a PCA video on getting a PPI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qng0qpeqoI
Old 10-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
If you get an 09, there’ll be no IMSB to worry about. Many 97-08 cars have had one of the IMSB fixes installed and you’ll probably pay a premium for those, but peace of mind is worth it IMO. But get a PPI wherever you buy. Happy hunting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote