Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
T-WRX

Garage
Smile Looking at 98 Boxster

Hi Everyone.

I just joined the forum and enjoy reading all the posts.

I have always wanted a Porsche and a convertible especially, so the Boxster fits perfectly. It's actually the first thing on my Bucket list. I'm no spring chicken so I better get going on that list.

I'm looking into getting a 98 Boxster with 160,000+ miles. It's at a Lexus dealer in Maryland, I live in Ohio, so just dropping by is out of the question. The appeal of getting this vehicle, other than the enjoyment of driving, is that my son works for the parent company of the dealer and we can get the vehicle at about $3,200 - a substantial discount.

I know I need to get a PPI on this but what other items/concerns should I be looking into?

Thanks.

esalo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #2

Garage
Service history, and do a thorough VIN search.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
T-WRX

Garage
Yah, already started on those.

I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of a good independent mechanic in the Rockville MD area that I can use for the PPI?
Old 04-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #4

For $3200, it would be a good deal, sure get a PPI but with 160k anything can go tomorrow, from a water pump to a synchro gear regardless of a PPI.

If you haven't driven a Box, I'd recommend finding one or two local this weekend for sale, take a couple of test drives, at least you can have a comparison for when you take this one for a drive as well.
Frank N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:00 AM   #5

Garage
Is it Lexus of Rockville? I got my 2000 Boxster from them in August and they were extremely professional. only thing that held up my transaction was they had issues running my card and it took about and extra 30 minutes for that process.

I worked with Ashley Richards and she was amazing. The car was ready to go by the time I got there. We did the test drive, I told her I wanted to look at another car. I wanted a 911 for the backseat so I could take the kids for a ride. Went and test drove a 911, but it was not very nice so I went back and bought the Boxster. Took about 5 hours from the first time I arrived until I drove home with a new car. I was looking to buy a Cayenne from them a few weeks ago, but someone swooped in and got it.

Alex
alex.rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:26 AM   #6
I am No. 1348

Garage
I do recommend you test drive a newer model as well so you can get an idea of the differences between models / years. Don't just test drive the car your targeting. Try to compare it to other rides to see if there are anomalies like cornering, handling, bumps, noises, engine noise, vibration, etc.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
T-WRX

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.rhodes View Post
Is it Lexus of Rockville? I got my 2000 Boxster from them in August and they were extremely professional. only thing that held up my transaction was they had issues running my card and it took about and extra 30 minutes for that process.

I worked with Ashley Richards and she was amazing. The car was ready to go by the time I got there. We did the test drive, I told her I wanted to look at another car. I wanted a 911 for the backseat so I could take the kids for a ride. Went and test drove a 911, but it was not very nice so I went back and bought the Boxster. Took about 5 hours from the first time I arrived until I drove home with a new car. I was looking to buy a Cayenne from them a few weeks ago, but someone swooped in and got it.

Alex
Yes it is Lexus of Rockville. Since my son is a salesman at the Sonic Subaru dealership here in Columbus, we could arrange everything and pay here. But really want to drive and examine everything about the car first. That's why I'd like to get a PPI done to know if I should even bother to travel there for a test drive then make my decision.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #8

I'm also considering a 98. It only has 19,000 miles, in show room condition. Dealer is asking 10k. Should I so ppi. Should I be worried bout the low mileage?
mikeclimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 AM   #9
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeclimbs View Post
I'm also considering a 98. It only has 19,000 miles, in show room condition. Dealer is asking 10k. Should I so ppi. Should I be worried bout the low mileage?
Yes and Yes.

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote