986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Looking at 98 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/new-member-introductions/66043-looking-98-boxster.html)

esalo49 04-06-2017 06:16 AM

Looking at 98 Boxster

Hi Everyone.

I just joined the forum and enjoy reading all the posts.

I have always wanted a Porsche and a convertible especially, so the Boxster fits perfectly. It's actually the first thing on my Bucket list. I'm no spring chicken so I better get going on that list. ;)

I'm looking into getting a 98 Boxster with 160,000+ miles. It's at a Lexus dealer in Maryland, I live in Ohio, so just dropping by is out of the question. The appeal of getting this vehicle, other than the enjoyment of driving, is that my son works for the parent company of the dealer and we can get the vehicle at about $3,200 - a substantial discount.

I know I need to get a PPI on this but what other items/concerns should I be looking into?

Thanks.

Anker 04-06-2017 07:33 AM

Service history, and do a thorough VIN search.

esalo49 04-06-2017 09:56 AM

Yah, already started on those.

I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of a good independent mechanic in the Rockville MD area that I can use for the PPI?

Frank N 04-07-2017 02:07 AM

For $3200, it would be a good deal, sure get a PPI but with 160k anything can go tomorrow, from a water pump to a synchro gear regardless of a PPI.

If you haven't driven a Box, I'd recommend finding one or two local this weekend for sale, take a couple of test drives, at least you can have a comparison for when you take this one for a drive as well.

alex.rhodes 04-07-2017 04:00 AM

Is it Lexus of Rockville? I got my 2000 Boxster from them in August and they were extremely professional. only thing that held up my transaction was they had issues running my card and it took about and extra 30 minutes for that process.

I worked with Ashley Richards and she was amazing. The car was ready to go by the time I got there. We did the test drive, I told her I wanted to look at another car. I wanted a 911 for the backseat so I could take the kids for a ride. Went and test drove a 911, but it was not very nice so I went back and bought the Boxster. Took about 5 hours from the first time I arrived until I drove home with a new car. I was looking to buy a Cayenne from them a few weeks ago, but someone swooped in and got it.

Alex

algiorda 04-07-2017 04:26 AM

I do recommend you test drive a newer model as well so you can get an idea of the differences between models / years. Don't just test drive the car your targeting. Try to compare it to other rides to see if there are anomalies like cornering, handling, bumps, noises, engine noise, vibration, etc.

esalo49 04-07-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.rhodes (Post 532978)
Is it Lexus of Rockville? I got my 2000 Boxster from them in August and they were extremely professional. only thing that held up my transaction was they had issues running my card and it took about and extra 30 minutes for that process.

I worked with Ashley Richards and she was amazing. The car was ready to go by the time I got there. We did the test drive, I told her I wanted to look at another car. I wanted a 911 for the backseat so I could take the kids for a ride. Went and test drove a 911, but it was not very nice so I went back and bought the Boxster. Took about 5 hours from the first time I arrived until I drove home with a new car. I was looking to buy a Cayenne from them a few weeks ago, but someone swooped in and got it.

Alex

Yes it is Lexus of Rockville. Since my son is a salesman at the Sonic Subaru dealership here in Columbus, we could arrange everything and pay here. But really want to drive and examine everything about the car first. That's why I'd like to get a PPI done to know if I should even bother to travel there for a test drive then make my decision.

mikeclimbs 04-16-2017 03:48 PM

I'm also considering a 98. It only has 19,000 miles, in show room condition. Dealer is asking 10k. Should I so ppi. Should I be worried bout the low mileage?

paulofto 04-17-2017 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeclimbs (Post 534056)
I'm also considering a 98. It only has 19,000 miles, in show room condition. Dealer is asking 10k. Should I so ppi. Should I be worried bout the low mileage?

Yes and Yes.