Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
LEJ

New owner in Ontario, Calif

Hello everyone, Just bought a 2001 Boxster S last Sunday. The car is in great shape with 62,000 miles. This is my 6th Porsche. 1968 912, 1971 911T, 1975 911S, 2002 911 Carrera, 1973 911S and now the 2001 Boxster S.

Spent most of one day doing an oil change and filter as well as replacing the fuel, engine air and cabin filters. Today I'm replacing the main 6 rib drive belt and gear oil. Everything looks decent but this gives me a "starting" point. I have a good used center console and drivers side sun visor ordered from LA Dismantlers as my glove box in the console has a broken hinge and the little door that covers the mirror in the sunvisor is broken. Aside from that, the car is great and fun to drive.

LEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Nice! Welcome. I know you'll love the Box. Any info. on the status of the IMSB?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:42 PM   #3

Love the color and the wheels.

At 62k unless you have proof it's been done you will want to replace the spark plugs as its part of the 60k service.

Congrats.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Nice looking car and we live fairly close. When you are ready to get out and run with some Porsche friends, come join us!

Upcoming Events |
Old 06-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
LEJ

Thanks for all the info. Along with what I posted, I also changed the fuel filter (PITA) Coolant is next and the spark plugs are on my list. In regard to the IMSB, no info. I bought the car from a small dealership in Tunjuga (did a lot of dicekering, got a great deal and he delivered the car to me a few days later) and, he had no service info. About all he knew was that it had a new clutch but no info on the bearing.

Topless, let me know if you have any driving plans.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEJ View Post
Hello everyone, Just bought a 2001 Boxster S last Sunday. The car is in great shape with 62,000 miles. This is my 6th Porsche. 1968 912, 1971 911T, 1975 911S, 2002 911 Carrera, 1973 911S and now the 2001 Boxster S.

Spent most of one day doing an oil change and filter as well as replacing the fuel, engine air and cabin filters. Today I'm replacing the main 6 rib drive belt and gear oil. Everything looks decent but this gives me a "starting" point. I have a good used center console and drivers side sun visor ordered from LA Dismantlers as my glove box in the console has a broken hinge and the little door that covers the mirror in the sunvisor is broken. Aside from that, the car is great and fun to drive.

Welcome & great looking car! There are repair kits for the console lid & vanity mirror if you want to save alot of money. Is that a factory color? I don't think I have ever seen it on a 2001. Looks great regardless.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #7
LEJ

Thank you for the compliments.

It is a factory color. It's called Orient Red Metallic. Found that on the tag behind the carpet affixed to the inside of the left front fender. Here's a color chart for 2001 2001 Porsche Boxster Exterior Paint Colors and Interior Trim Colors | Autobytel.com

The console looked pretty bad along with the broken hinge. Bought a pristine console from LA Dismantlers and all I had to do was swap the lock from my old console to the new console. Removing and replacing the console took about 30 minutes plus, I found 16 cents under the console so that helped pay for the new console.

"BYprodriver" -----Who sells a replacement mirror? It's not too late to cancel the order for the used sun visor.

Larry

Last edited by LEJ; 06-18-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #8

Garage
[QUOTE=LEJ;500002]Thank you for the compliments.

It is a factory color. It's called Orient Red Metallic. Found that on the tag behind the carpet affixed to the inside of the left front fender. Here's a color chart for 2001 2001 Porsche Boxster Exterior Paint Colors and Interior Trim Colors | Autobytel.com

The console looked pretty bad along with the broken hinge. Bought a pristine console from LA Dismantlers and all I had to do was swap the lock from my old console to the new console. Removing and replacing the console took about 30 minutes plus, I found 16 cents under the console so that helped pay for the new console.

"BYprodriver" -----Who sells a replacement mirror? It's not too late to cancel the order for the used sun visor.

My mistake, you can buy a replacement "cover door" for the visor mirror. They often break off & I assumed that's what you needed.

Your car looks dark for Orient Red maybe it's the lighting, does it look orange in bright sunlight? (one of my favorite colors)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:05 PM   #9
LEJ

It is a unique color of red. Daylight it looks metallic medium red and night it looks dark maroon (sp) I haven't seen orange yet but maybe I'm color blind. The color sample chart (see link above) seems to hit the color spot on.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:42 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:21 AM   #11
LEJ

In regard to the console I installed, anyone know what the small microswitch controls, it's located on the locking mechanism of the center console glove box lock
Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 AM   #12

I believe it's for the central locking system. If you are outside the car and lock it with your key fob and the lid is open you will get a double beep telling you something on the car is left open. It also is connected to the doors and both trunk lids.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:26 AM   #13
LEJ

Thanks, I'll leave it open and set the alarm and see what happens. Thanks again
Old 06-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #14
LEJ

Well, Tuesday (tomorrow) it's off to a mechanic in Riverside (Precision Motion) to have the LN Engineering IMS kit installed as well as the oil separator. If it needs a new clutch they'll do that also. Told them to check the front motor mount and replace if it's loose. Get it back on Wednesday

Last edited by LEJ; 06-21-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #15
LEJ

Follow up, the clutch was basically in great shape however I'm having them replace the disk as well as the throw out bearing. The Oil separator had been changed and was in good condition so no replacement however when the transaxle was out they noticed a drip or two coming from the coolant tank so it will be replaced. Upon inspection the front motor mount needs replacement so that will get done as well as the LN Engineering IMSB repair. Should get it back late today.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #16

LEJ: There's another weak point to have them check if it's not too late... the oil filler tube. It's a plastic accordion type of tube that cracks with heat and age and when you add oil it drips directly on the exhaust manifold and causes smoking. It can also suck in air if it's cracked badly enough.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #17
LEJ

They had already checked the tube and it had been replaced by a previous owner. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate all the help members of this board have provided.

Larry
Old 06-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #18
LEJ

The final outcome was this. I originally was going to have Precision Motion just replace the clutch disk and throw out bearing but last minute a decision was made to do the whole job. My engine had the factory dual row bearing which was in good shape but replaced with the LN Engineering IMSB kit. The coolant tank was replaced and as mentioned previously, the oil separator had been replaced and was in good shape. The front engine mount was loose so it got a brand new one as well as an oil change and a new filter and filter housing as the mount for the spring in the bottom of the filter housing was missing and the tab that holds the spring was broken. Precision checked and a relatively new water pump was in place and a new serpentine belt which I had installed. Got the car there on Tuesday around 10:00 AM and picked it up at 5:00 PM on Wednesday. Great turn around time. My previous Porsche was a 1973 911T with all the factory installed "S" stuff (koni's, air dam etc etc.) The 2.7 engine fuel injection system (CIS) was giving me fits so I bought a 1986 Carrera 3.2 engine with Motronic injection from Precision Motion and they did the install. If you live in the Inland Empire area, they're right next to Riverside in Grand Terrace off the 215 fwy and Barton Rd. I highly recommend them for virtually 'anything" Porsche related.

So, my next "home" job is to replace the spark plugs. After that, I'm done until I pull the rotors and hopefully there is enough meat to re-surface them. When I do that, I'll change out the brake fluid and all the brake pads. Should I use dot 3 or dot 4 brake fluid or buy some of the super stuff (blue in color?)
Old 06-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #19

Garage
Dot 4 brake fluid, which is also your clutch fluid from the same reservoir. I belive all colored brake fluid has been banned by our government.

I just bought Pentosion Dot 4 fluid from Auto Zone, $13.99 per litre Metal can which absorbs less moisture. Power steering fluid is made by Pentosion also, be sure to check yours & replace if suspect with Pentosion 11S.