Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Got Me a Boxster- Richmond VA

I picked it up from the seller in Florida last Friday and drove it back to Virginia over the weekend. The car runs great and I am really enjoying having a convertible again. Oh yeah, its my first P-Car too!

Cheers,

Rob

ReallyDirtyThirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Very nice
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Great looking car, sounds like a fun drive!!! Congrats
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Unfortunately the car does not seem to share your excitement....

Volume required!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=I-oFduUTaPM

Welcome aboard bud, the pictures really don't do her justice

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #5

good looking car! looks familiar.. did you happen to buy it from Pedro?
if you did.. well played!
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
did you happen to buy it from Pedro?
Haha, you found me out! Indeed I did purchase the car from Mr. Bonilla, the man, the myth, the legend. Hell of a guy and I'm glad I got to meet him as part of the purchase.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #7

Nice looking car mate.....I bought my first Boxter 2001 a few months ago and love It .
I'm in Richmond VA also , where about's are you located ?

Take care.
Privateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

In the near west end area close to U of R. If you're in the city, I'll PM you next time we're heading out to Cars and Coffee and we can have a Boxster cruise out there.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post
Haha, you found me out! Indeed I did purchase the car from Mr. Bonilla, the man, the myth, the legend. Hell of a guy and I'm glad I got to meet him as part of the purchase.
awesome!! then you got yourself a peach and will surely enjoy miles and miles of trouble free motoring!

he did the IMS and clutch on mine and got to meet him. the man has a wealth of knowledge and is very fair and honest. if i would have known about that car being for sale before i got mine i would have snatched it a couple of months back.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
Toppy

Garage
Congrats on your purchase, one of my favourite colours
Old 05-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #11

Garage
Hi and welcome from Fort Worth TX!

2002 Boxster Seal Gray Metallic: Desnorkled, Changed ashtray to non-smoker's bin, Removed stickers from sunvisors, Added rear speakers, LED Shifter, Porsche logo on trunk lid, New top with heated glass window, Aspheric Driver's Side Mirror Upgrade, More to come...
randy7601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Sweet car. Nice color combo. I love the beige interior.

I read your post with interest as I am considering buying a 986 in FL in the not to distant future. Hopefully from Mr. Bonilla, as well.

Could you comment on the overall buying experience with PB? I assume yours has the DOF? I am also interested in the flying/buying/driving home aspect? Did PB provide an "in transit" temporary tag? Is that even valid in every state? I'd have to continue your trip beyond VA - through MD, DE, NJ, etc. back to Boston. I'd really hate to be pulled over and have my new P car impounded for invalid tags! Any other "darn, I wish I'd thought of that when I was in FL" comments?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'd appreciate any of your thoughts. Thanks!
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #13

I have been dealing with Pedro Bonilla since I bought my 2000 Arena Red / Savanna Beige 986 just over three years ago. I can vouch for his knowledge, fairness and integrity. I would highly recommend him and any car he offers for sale. Congratulations on your new 986.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #14
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Thanks, Alfie. I'm sure he is, and he immediately welcomed me to Pedro's Board. I'm quite confident one day soon I'll be driving home one of his reconditioned beauties. I've been window shopping for my first Box for quite a while, but the more I've read about him the more convinced I am to fly down. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #15

Pedro is a stand up guy and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of his car's to anyone looking to buy a Boxster. My car had a junkyard 30k mile engine installed with a DOF and all the other goodies.

We had some hiccups during the buy due to me using a cashier's check for the purchase from an out of state credit union, but that was my fault and I should have done some more due diligence in regards to the bank he was using etc... We sorted everything though and at the end of the day Pedro got his money and I got the car.

Drove it 1000 miles up I-95 without any problems. The car ran great! I don't know how MA works, but in VA you can apply through the DMV for something that's called a Trip Permit. It allows the purchaser (must be a VA resident) to transport a car from out of state for up to three business days from the date on the Bill of Sale without having to obtain tags or have the car registered, as long as the intent of the buyer is to title and register the car in Virginia. That's how I got around having to get tags in Florida and still get the car back to Virginia in a legal manner.

Shockingly, I drove 1000 miles, with no tags on the car, on Memorial Day weekend and never got pulled over once! I probably passed 30+ state troopers as well as a bevy of county sheriffs and no one paid me any mind. How I managed to do that I'll never know...
Old 07-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #16
Luckyed

Garage
I bought an Audi on eBay once and after looking into all the options, I paid $550 to have it shipped from NY to FL because of the issues with trying to find a temporary permit.

I calculated my cost for the airline ticket, fuel and possibly a hotel room and decided the car transport fee was definitely the way to go. (not to mention the cost of my time)

Regardless, either way you go, it's exciting taking possession of the "new ride".

Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #17
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Thanks, Dirty and Lucky. Just the info i was looking for. Happy Boxstering (hope that PB didn't trademark that)
Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
I'm off to FL next week!

The time has almost come! I'm flying down to FL next week to pick up a sweet '03 Base. Midnight Blue Metallic, Savannah Beige with a Metropol Blue top. PB rebuilt a M96 with new IMS bearing and DOF kit.

I was going to wait a few more months, but what's the point? The car is exactly what I want, and even though she'll be garaged for the winter - late summer/early fall in New England cannot be beat for road trips!
Old 09-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #19

Congrats!! You will not be disappointed with the seller nor the car.

For those interested, here is the link to grc's new ride:

2003 Boxster

GRC- If timing works out and you're driving through Richmond around happy hour, feel free to let me know and we can meet up for a beer some place to celebrate your new acquisition. I have another Boxster buddy that might be able to join too.

Cheers!

-Rob
Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #20
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Thanks, Rob. I just may take you up on that. My wife will be with me and we would most likely passing through Richmond over the weekend. Not sure of the exact timing, as we will need stop at my brother's house in Del for Saturday night. So, sometime Saturday if all goes as planned.

But I'm sure we'd like to get out, stretch our legs, and enjoy a frosty adult beverage with you and your buddy, if he can make it.

Gary