Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

Yet another newbie 2000S

Purchased my first Porsche- 2000 Boxster S with 103,000. 2nd owner traded it in for a Caddy. Each of the first two owners had it for 50k. Both sold when their respective warranties ran out. I have complete records for the last 50k miles- well maintained, lots of the relatively big stuff done before I got her (water pump, front engine mount).

Had a PPI done by the local Porsche dealer- some seals leaking (but not the IMS or RMS). However, immediately took it to an independent who works almost exclusively on Boxsters and had a new IMS bearing and RMS seal along with a bunch of other stuff- basically zero lined the maintenance. The IMS bearing was double row, was in good shape- obviously the grease seals were leaking and it seeped motor oil for a few weeks as it sat on my work bench aging so it can become a paper weight in my office.

Now down to one small leak in the transmission pan. BTW, it is an automatic, but I get a lot of fun driving it in manual mode and shifting on the steering wheel. My independent mechanic told me to drive it hard and now that I have the IMS solved for a few years, I do that, wandering the Tampa area looking for abandoned undeveloped sub divisions with nice roads but no houses..

As most newbies do, I worried about the IMS, even after I had it replaced, but I am past that now. It is a blast to drive, too bad there aren't many hills in central Florida.

Since this was the first year of the Boxster S, I feel an obligation to have a long term relationship with her and keep her original and on the road. I got it at a relative bargain price knowing I would have to sink a few $K into her to get her up to where she deserved to be and I am good with that strategy.

RB

RBrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Garage
Congrats on the purchase. While it is true that there are not many hills/windy roads to drive on around here, we do have the longest "Convertible Season" of the group here!

Drive her like you stole her

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Garage
Congratulation on your new ride. I've only had mine for two weeks, but it sure has been a fun two weeks. And Coffinhunter is right, we may not have many curves, but we get to keep the top down most of the year. Enjoy.
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

All you new Boxster owners should also take the PCA Performance driving school.

It will teach you how to handle your Boxster properly and you will learn to drive it like it deserves to be. Also keep you out of trouble as you will learn the limits and recognize when things are getting out of sorts and allow you to drive it to its maximum potential on dry and wet roads.

Its also increadibly fun and you will make some new friends and get "inside" with the porsche gang immediately.

Its so much fun that some people do the course more than once.

Also if your interested in racing you will have a mini-autocross to cut your teeth on and try your new learned skills.

It also removes the fear of "crossing the line" when you learn just how your car will handle.

I spun my 2001 S out at least 10 times over the weekend course as I tested the limits of performance and learned how to really handle the car properly.

It was scary at first but by the end of the weekend I had no fear and felt like I was driving like Mario Andretti.

A year later I have done a few autocrosses, want to do much more, and drive the Boxster dailly with total confidence as I fly around the local curves and laugh at the folks trying to catch me as disappear rapidly in my rear view...
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

Great advice- I will look into a schedule for my local club!!

RBrummer is offline   Reply With Quote