Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Price Check - 2009 Boxster

Hello Folks,

I've been a lurker her for quite some time. I am getting antsy to buy my first Porsche. I've owned BMW's and Miatas, but never a Boxster. Today, I spent over an hour with the sales manager at a local Porsche dealership where they have a 2009 Boxster (not "S") that has a great list of options - all of which I would want, including NAV, Sat radio, Bluetooth, upgraded stereo, ipod & usb connections, etc., and the 6-speed manual tranny. MSRP is just south of $60K, and the car was used only by the sales manager for special fund raisers at golf outings. (I do believe him) so the car has 800 miles on it.

This thing looks absolutely brand-new off the truck, gorgeous aqua blue, grey interior, and blue top. It will have the full 4-year warranty and it's priced at $49K. The manager claims they paid $54K for the car and would be losing $5K, but they need to get it sold. I got the impression there is a little wiggle room, but not much.

Given that it's winter and anyone buying it around here would store it for at least two months, it may stick around for a while unless someone out of state grabs it and has it trucked. So - my first question is what do you all think of the price, and what might you think the best deal would be on this car? Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Doug

FromMiata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
dalealan2001

If I was going to spend that kind of money on a boxster it would have to the "S" model- though it may have to be an 08. I never hear people say I wish It had less horsepower.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

How about a blue 2009 S boxster with lots of the same goodies

with 5400 miles private owner for the same $? Plus has summer 19"s and winter 17's mounted, seems like a better deal to me. And should have ~3 years of full Porsche warranty. (found via www.cars.com in VA). PDK may not be to your liking but, since it is an extra cost option, that would mean to me a similar car with stick ought to be had for less.

I see base 2009s for as low as below $40k (not as well optioned, granted). CPO'ed for $43k. And those are all asking prices rounded up.

The 800 mile car to me is used (even if perfect) and its asking price needs to be compared to what it is worth the week after you buy it. My bet is you could sell that car for $44k after a long struggle. So why not try to be on the buying end of that price point.

If you buy the car you describe, get the in-service date in writing as it officially starts the warranty period.

Rule 1 in buying a car: don't fall in love with just one, there are hundreds out there.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #4

Gotta believe Porsche is giving dealers BIG incentives to move out leftover '09 inventory. They're very likely making a good chunk of change even at $10k off sticker. Bargain hard there's no shortage of cars around, including well optioned ones. I agree, for ~$50k I'd want an S.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the opinions. I do appreciate it. I am not interested in an "S". I know it is more power, but I don't want more power. Does anyone know where I can find out what sort of incentives Porsche is giving to the dealers to unload the '09's? My recollection is there are none any more but I could certainly be wrong. Thanks.

Doug

FromMiata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote