Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

Newbie with questions

Just purchased a 2000 Boxster S and drove it home from South Carolina. Beautiful car and a blast to drive. I have a couple of questions for all you experienced ones out there on the forum. 1. The odometer is not illuminated. You can faintly see the odometer reading in daylight but it is not illuminated when underway like all the other digital insturments. 2. The previous owner had recently had the oil changed at the local Porsche dealership in SC and he had used a 0w30 weighted oil. Is this a common weight to use on Porsches? I live in Florida and is a little hotter driving conditions than South Carolina, should I change the oil over tho something more suited to Florida. 3. When starting the car the oil indicator light is reading above the range when the car is starting cold. If it is over filled with oil is this going to cause problems? On the dipstick it doesnt register that much over. Any input on these items would be appreciated. Thanks

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #2

Oil weight: Loaded question, but the majority recommend a 10w40. What flavor is still debated.

Dash lights: the little knob on the dash above the tach should brighten your dash lights

Oil level: when you say above, do you mean one bar high on the dash display?
Check the oil with the dip stck on level ground after the car a sat for a while (10-15 minutes). Too high is never good.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The problem with the dash lighting is just with the odometer. All of the other insturments are lit and are working properly. I can adjust the level up and down with the little knob. The odometer is not lit at all. It is working in the sense it is keeping correct milage. You can take a flashlight and shine it directly on it and see the digtal numbers. It is just not backlit like the other instruments. I dont know if the probelm is with the LED or some where else, like a bulb or something. Any help is appreciated. Regarding the oil the read out on the dash shows it one bar above the high mark on the range. I guess I could drain out some oil to solve the problem. As far as oil weight is guess I'll go with the Porsche owners manual specs. I didnt know if anyone was using some different weighted oils than their specs.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The problem with the dash lighting is just with the odometer. All of the other insturments are lit and are working properly. I can adjust the level up and down with the little knob. The odometer is not lit at all. It is working in the sense it is keeping correct milage. You can take a flashlight and shine it directly on it and see the digtal numbers. It is just not backlit like the other instruments. I dont know if the probelm is with the LED or some where else, like a bulb or something. Any help is appreciated. Regarding the oil the read out on the dash shows it one bar above the high mark on the range. I guess I could drain out some oil to solve the problem. As far as oil weight is guess I'll go with the Porsche owners manual specs. I didnt know if anyone was using some different weighted oils than their specs.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

Apparently, I'm a newbie to computers as well
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #6

I think it's a conventional bulb (not an LED) behind the odometer. You can disassemble the gauge and change the bulb and hopefully that's your problem. Since, it's working it's very likely that you have just a bad light bulb back there.
gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH
As far as oil weight is guess I'll go with the Porsche owners manual specs.
The only problem with the manual is that oils are periodically reformulated. At one point (IIRC) Porsche recommended 15W-40, and I think my car came with it.

There is a wealth of info on this subject. Search button here/RennTech or Google. LN Engineering has some good info, API site informative too.

Recommend an API rated SH or SJ oil. SL is absolute minimum.

Look for ACEA (European) A3/B3 rating also.

I no longer use 0w-40, and recommend 5W-40 or maybe 10W for mild winter climate. And maybe 50 weight for really hot summers.

There is a TSB on Porsche approved oils, many of us disregard it. I did after warranty period. But it is a point of departure for making a decision.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at the resources you recommended and go from there. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:58 AM   #9

Hi, I had a similar problem, try tapping on the cluster assembly, sometimes it's a loose bulb or connection. If that doesn't work remove the cluster and replace the bulb.

Did you do your homework and verify the mileage on the car wasn't altered, the reason I ask is because the cluster is removed to change the mileage and sometimes reconnecting the plugs can cause a problem.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #10

Hi Bob,

Just got a 2000 Boxster S myself and have the same issue with the odometer. The previous owner said it's because it's in "valet" mode and he didn't remember how to reset it, but that it involved locking/ unlocking the car with the truck open, etc.

Please post if you find the answer and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Eric
redpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #11

I think Franco is correct. There is a little 1.5 watt bulb in the back of the insturment cluster. I took the cluster off and removed the bulb and it looks burnt out. I ordered a replacement bulb and hopefully when its reinstalled it will solve the problem. Ill let you know. Taking the cluster off is pretty easy, just two screws , one behind the mic filter and one behind the emergency flasher and a little wiggling around and it came out. there are three wire harness diconnects to the instrument panel that are easy to get off. I left the 4th one attached and just laid the cluster over the dash with it still connected. There is a guy that posted the process with pictures. Im sure you can find it if you google it. The bulb comes right out . Hopefully the new one will go in as easy! The only thing I have noticed is that in getting out the flasher button and the mic cover the plastic is really tender and very easily marred. I dont know if your interior is the same way. All the black plastic in the interior of the car is scratched up and very tacky/soft to the touch. i dont know if the previous owner had sprayed something on it to preserve it and messed up the plastic or if that is just the way it is. Let me know if you noticed the same on your car.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 AM   #12

I found the posting with the disassembly process - it does actually look pretty simple and the pictures are great.

I plan on digging into this on Tuesday - I'll post what I find as well.

Where did you order your bulb from and how much?
redpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #13

I ordered the part on www.parts.com. The bulb is a 12 volt 1.5 watt bulb. Parts. com was easy to deal with and quick (and expensive) shipping. I replaced the bulb today and worked like a charm. Pretty easy job.