Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > New Members - Start here! > New Member Introductions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #1

Question importance of 2003 updates compared to '02

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this board for a month or so now, and have been shopping for a new to me boxster. So far I'm looking at both 2005 base as well as '03 and '04 S models, similar to previous threads I haven't quite made up my mind on this yet.

My question to the experts here is how advisable would it be for me to widen my search to include also '02 S models with low mileage (CPO probably too). There are a lot of these around for reasonable money, giving much more choice of color combos and options than my more restrictive search, and maybe saving a bit of money up front as well. The glove compartment isn't important to me, all I ever keep in the glove box of my daily driver ('03 GTI 1.8T) is a case of CD's and a tire pressure gauge. What I am a bit concerned about is the plastic rear window. Assuming that I buy a CPO low miles car with top and window in excellent shape at purchase time, am I likely to regret not getting the glass window of a newer model a couple of years down the line? The car will be garaged at home (outdoor parking lot at work though), and only driven when there's no snow on the ground.

Any help you might be able to give me would be appreciated.

drWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #2

I have a 2000 Boxster I purchased about one month ago. The plastic rear window does wear over time. I have a one inch area that is separating from the canvas. The cost of resewing new plastic is about $450.00 installed. You can purchase new tops with plastic for about $400-800 on ebay motors and new tops with the glass including defroster for $700-1200. Installation costs about $400.

I am going to purchase a new top with the glass and have it installed. Don't go to Porsche. I got a quote in Tampa for a new top with plastic window for over $3000. Crazy.

Good luck.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

I was frankly surprised that the 03s were rated poorly for reliability. Mostly engine related, I believe. And the glass rear window is a big thing to me.

The standard best buy advice is buy the best car you can afford.

Options and color selection also require scrutiny. I had to have a 6 speed, heated seats, Carrera lites, and cruise control. And black (either metallic or not) over tan. Other options were "nice to have" or "too expensive to consider."

You said color selection was important, so hold out for what you really want. There are plenty of reasonably priced good cars out there to take a "deal" over what your heart tells you.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #4

Cool importance of 03 update compared to 02

seems not too long ago, i was in the same situation as you.. having test driven an 00 S/ 03S and an 04S. in my personal opinion.. go with the newest/best condition and fully optioned car you can find, and if the color combination, int/ext pleases you and if it comes with service history ,then you have found the right one for you. when you say there's lots of them around. do u mean in Montreal/Quebec or in the States?
i'm from Toronto, and the choices i find around are really limited, unless you go to a Porsche dealer that would be asking way too much money for a car. also buying a CPO car does'nt really mean much not unless you really read and interpret what is covered and not.
in my case i decided that i really prefer a 986 than a 987, so i was able to narrow it down to an 03/04 S , and ended up buying an '04S in the States last December.
and so far after putting in around a 1200k , have been really satisfied.
With a little luck and due diligence and trusting your own instincts and your mechanic, not just a PPI from a dealer where a technician that really would'nt put in the time and patience to go over it carefully.
anyway, good luck !
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
I would definitely go for the '03 if the price is close in the options and color you want. When I bought my '02S 14 months ago there was very little choice around Toronto. I really wanted an '03 and I had only a couple of requirements. I had 3 exterior color choices, but would only take black interior in S trim and it came down to a single '03 vs '02 with the 03 having 20k miles less, but the price difference was $13k!!! The cars were pretty far apart in quality and options, but I couldn't justify the difference at the time, however if I were to do it again..... hmm. There should be better choices now with the dollar at par.

Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote